Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Suggestions on what to do? Your time is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on what to do? Your time is appreciated.

Hello,
Been lurking and reading a great deal about the impressive amount of knowledge on this forum regarding the maintenance and improvement of these engines. I have a problem. I will be brief and ask for recommendations.

I bought an 2005 Silverado with 5.3. Has the 799 heads. I have water/coolant in the intake manifold and am losing is slowly. I got jacked and dealer does not want to help. Things that have been tried so far. Other symptoms include, rough idle, loud knock (listed below is a video of the knock).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I am not losing oil pressure, it is not misfiring, no smoke on start up etc. It drives a little quieter on warm up above idle RPMS. Gas Mileage is fine.

I have done a great deal of research and have figured more than likely I have the Castech heads porosity leak.
My skills are okay as a mechanic, but it has been a while since I worked on my 1967 GTO when I was 19 ( I am 41 now..crap).
This truck is a third vehicle. I have only made one payment on it. GM does not want to do anything, and am getting to much crap from mechanics around here. I will attempt to fix it myself.

Are there any small articles for removing the valve covers to confirm what I probably already know? I have searched and may have missed them, but wanted to know any caveats to look out for.
Since the intake gasket is new (OEM), would I have to replace it again if I replace the heads?
Do they make non castech heads for this truck? If so which ones will be a simple bolt on (no changes, cams etc)?
I plan on placing an ad in the WTB section?
Can someone provide a quick summary of other procedures that would need to be done? I know to replace the head gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and new head bolts. Should I replace the lifters and rods as well? I am not certain if that noise is within that realm or something deeper like a wrist pin..sigh. If someone has some heads on this forum, what should I look for and avoid? I am just trying to save some money here. I cannot tell you the frustration I feel in buying my very first truck and have this happen.

If there are other suggestions, minus getting a totally new engine, unless someone in the Knoxville area will help me with a swap (above my head)?

Thanks for taking the time to take a look and provide some feedback.

-JC
Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am by far no expert, however here is what I would do in your situation, take it for what it is worth. Buy a solid low mileage 5.3 or 6.0l and switch it out, you already have everything else, so only a longblock or even a complete engine, minus the accesories would be great. I think it would be cheaper on you too, a 5.3 with good mileage around DFW is running under $850.00, if you have a mechanic fool with it, most want $100.00/hr or more, 8 hours and you spent that $ and still dont have it fixed. Good luck man.