Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

sqeaky steering column

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmann
how hard is it to change that bearing???
It's a bit of a job! You have to go into the steering shaft and un-couple it and then replace the unit.

You're probably looking at an hour to 2 hours of labor at any decent shop.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Question

I'm having the same issue on my 05' GMC Sierra. Has anyone done this yet or found a "how to" write-up?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cmitchell17
When I turn with my windows up I can hear mine squeak when I take a turn at a slow speed. It seems like its the belt on the power steering though, not the steering columb squeaking.
cmitchell17,
I had this problem and ended up taking it in 3 times for warranty. GM says it fluid moving through the spool valve in the rack and pinion and its is inherent to the vehicle. They told me the second trip and second rack later that i just had to live with it. HAHA so they thought. I went in the third time and told them i wasnt leaving till it was fixed. They ended up replacing the rack for a third time and used EXTREME cold climate fluid. Havent had a problem since.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Arrow

Originally Posted by pbraxton
cmitchell17,
I had this problem and ended up taking it in 3 times for warranty. GM says it fluid moving through the spool valve in the rack and pinion and its is inherent to the vehicle. They told me the second trip and second rack later that i just had to live with it. HAHA so they thought. I went in the third time and told them i wasnt leaving till it was fixed. They ended up replacing the rack for a third time and used EXTREME cold climate fluid. Havent had a problem since.
Ya, I was going to say that originally I thought it was in my steering wheel. I stuck my head out the window one day when parking and it sounded like it was coming from under the truck rather than inside of it. I'll have to have someone outside the truck listen for it while driving slow and turning.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rompn
Ya, I was going to say that originally I thought it was in my steering wheel. I stuck my head out the window one day when parking and it sounded like it was coming from under the truck rather than inside of it. I'll have to have someone outside the truck listen for it while driving slow and turning.
with mine it only did it while turning left.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Arrow

Originally Posted by pbraxton
with mine it only did it while turning left.
Mine is both ways and seems to be more noticeable at slow speeds. Don't know if it is because it is to loud at high speeds to hear or if there is just less resistance. Maybe a little of both.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:43 PM
13 Second Truck Club

lube or replace the intermediate shaft bulk-head boot to correct the problem if it does
sound like it is coming fromt inside the cab area.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I'm not sure where exactly mine is coming from, but it is getting more and more annoying (everyday when turn left in to my driveway), so I'm gonna have to try something to get it fixed. The most annoying thing about it to me is that I can feel it in the steering wheel. It's just hard to tell where it is coming from by my self and my wife isn't much help with that stuff... I did replaced the intermediate shaft with the updated one to get rid of the clunking a couple of months ago.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by truckmann
Well I'm not sure where exactly mine is coming from, but it is getting more and more annoying (everyday when turn left in to my driveway), so I'm gonna have to try something to get it fixed. The most annoying thing about it to me is that I can feel it in the steering wheel. It's just hard to tell where it is coming from by my self and my wife isn't much help with that stuff... I did replaced the intermediate shaft with the updated one to get rid of the clunking a couple of months ago.
trust me its the rack i will see if i can find the letter that the stealership gave me so they could BS they're way out of fixing mine.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

I found the letter. Check this out!
Spool Valve Page 1
Spool Valve Page 2
also the fluid was changed to EXTREME COLD CLIMATE FLUID part # 12345866 and i havent had a problem since.

Last edited by pbraxton; 08-25-2007 at 11:54 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: sqeaky steering column