Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

So close to getting a dream race last night.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So close to getting a dream race last night.

Ok, I live in Cleveland,MS. We see no "real" fast cars on the street. I was making the usual rounds and Made my way up to a fourway stop, as luck would have it, in the turning lane. I hear something crazy pulling up beside me and think it's some kind of crotch rocket or something. Well, its a Porsche, a NICE Porsche. It was silver with like aluminum looking wheels and yellow calipers. It had Carrera(I think that is how it was spelled)written on the back of it above the license plate under the rear wing. I know absolutely nothing about these cars, so I don't know what model car it was. It looked brand new, but then again, I wouldn't know the difference. It sounded wicked as hell, so it might have had some kind of exhaust modification.
Point of the story, I opened the cutouts and the guy looked at me like damn. He gave me a nod and pumped on his alittle, then my arrow came up, so I went on my way. The one time I didn't go straight at that damn light, a car I've never seen, and will probably never see again, rolls up with a cool guy in it.
Anybody know anything about this car? Would he have drug my ***, or would I have stood a remote chance? I assume if I could take him in the 1/4, he would be able to blow my doors off in the high gears. This definately wasn't one of those $20,000 Porsche's I have seen for sale before, like a Boxter or something like that. This thing was super hot!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

I thought most of the ones with the fixed rear wings were at least turbos if not twin turbo. Those are AWD and obviously grip like crazy. Only the GT2 lacks the AWD, but makes about 50 more HP and weighs next to nothing. The regular Carrera's are just 6's and make like 300 hp. I dont think they would have much for you. Those Turbos can be pretty quick.
The twin turbo would say "Turbo S" if the owner didnt remove the rear badge, whereas the turbo's simply say "turbo" once again, unless the owner debadged it.
Wouldve been cool to see what he had Keep your eye out
Old 12-11-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice! I would have expected a close race in the start if you could get off well, but them him blowing your doors off once ya'll got going. I dunno for sure, like you, I'm no Porsche expert. I do know that that wasn't a cheapo and was a serious Porsche.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it was a regular 6 porsche , i think you could absolutely take him, it must feel really good having a solid 12 second truck.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Truck addict

Why didn't you run into him like you did that Z71. i bet he would have given a good chase once you hauled ***. you could have kept flooring it to about 80 then hitting the brakes and going again to 80. that way you could watch yourself pull away from him each time.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by goshawk23
Why didn't you run into him like you did that Z71. i bet he would have given a good chase once you hauled ***. you could have kept flooring it to about 80 then hitting the brakes and going again to 80. that way you could watch yourself pull away from him each time.
The regular Turbo is rated at 415hp and 415 tq while the X50 upgrade makes 444hp and 457 tq. I dont know how well youd walk away 0-80 since they are AWD. Only one way to find out. Id hook up that wet kit first though
Old 12-11-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

I think you would take him stoplight to stoplight. The 911 carrera has 325 hp 273tq, 0-60 4.8 sec. They are 2 wheel drive unlees it says "4s". Only the GT2 and GT3 come stock with a fixed rear wing. My dream is to have a fast truck that could beat these high dollar sports cars! Around here there are all kinda of Ferraris, Porsches and a couple Vipers and Saleen s7's
Old 12-11-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Soquel
I think you would take him stoplight to stoplight. The 911 carrera has 325 hp 273tq, 0-60 4.8 sec. They are 2 wheel drive unlees it says "4s". Only the GT2 and GT3 come stock with a fixed rear wing. My dream is to have a fast truck that could beat these high dollar sports cars! Around here there are all kinda of Ferraris, Porsches and a couple Vipers and Saleen s7's
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...urbo-Coupe.htm
The four only indicates AWD on the lesser base Carrera models. All Turbo models with the exception of the GT2 have AWD. All turbo models also come with the fixed rear wing. My uncles is a Turbo S and has a fixed rear wing as well. Im not sure if only the base Carrera has the wing that come up at 45 mph or if others have it as well.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought for a second you were posting that you thought you had pulled up next to me
Old 12-11-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

I'm no expert on porsches, but my dad does have an old 924? turbo. the front engine ones. Got my info from looking at the Porsche website. I didn't mention the turbo having awd becasue you can't confuse those with a carrera, they say turbo on the back. And in the picture neither the turbo or turbo s have a fixed rear wing, if you click on the turbo 911 page it has pictures showing the wing in the up and down position.
http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/...usaenglish/911

Quick Reply: So close to getting a dream race last night.