Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado water leak drivers side, any thoughts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado water leak drivers side, any thoughts???

To give you some history... 2004 silverado. It's only wet on the drivers side and under the mat not on top. Headliner is not wet, so its not dripping from a bad windshield seal job. I checked everything with a hose and thought i had this fixed this summer but pulled the mats up to clean tonight and it was wet again!

This summer I found that it was coming down the drivers door post, on the outside (where the hinge attatches) and coming thru some body sealer. I cut it all out and resealed with urathane sealer. All still looks good and tight.

Any thoughts on what else to check? I probably won't get serious with a garden hose until the temps are 60+... right now we are sitting at 25 degrees. Let me know what you think
Old 01-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SilverCrew
To give you some history... 2004 silverado. It's only wet on the drivers side and under the mat not on top. Headliner is not wet, so its not dripping from a bad windshield seal job. I checked everything with a hose and thought i had this fixed this summer but pulled the mats up to clean tonight and it was wet again!

This summer I found that it was coming down the drivers door post, on the outside (where the hinge attatches) and coming thru some body sealer. I cut it all out and resealed with urathane sealer. All still looks good and tight.

Any thoughts on what else to check? I probably won't get serious with a garden hose until the temps are 60+... right now we are sitting at 25 degrees. Let me know what you think
I had the same trouble with mine when I bought it. It was coming from some vent( not ac or heat) Not sure where in the truck on that side it was. It would always be soaked under the driver side mat if it rained or i drove it in the rain.. What ever they did they fixed it. Not sure if it was a recall issue or not
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

So the dealership fixed it for you? Maybe the could look up your vin to see what they did... I will keep checking online to see if anyone has a definate answer.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Baltimore Whore

Yes they fixed it for me, but it was under warr I believe
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Put the heat on in the garage to ger her about 60 degrees and broke out the garden hose. I removed the wiper cowl cover.
Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
It was coming from some vent( not ac or heat)
Or sometimes called a cowl vent i suppose. Stuck a hose in there with a slow stream... had about the same stream in the truck
I decided it was the foam seal between the firewall and the cab within the wiper area. Cut out some of the seal and resealed with my windshield urathane sealant. Lets hope this fixes the problem this time... cause this is a PITD! <--- That's Pain In The D*ck... it's worse a than PITA
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Baltimore Whore

Not a PITD is the clap Well I hope you get it. That is about all they would do at the dealer. But they usually know where it is coming from from previous incidents..
Old 02-06-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

I know this is an old thread, but in case any one searches, here's what I found. It was the third brake light at the top of the back of the cab. There's a lip underneath it that directs water to the side so you won't see it flowing down the center of your rear window. In my crew cab, it would then spill down the side behind the C pillar panel to the floor. Since I park with the truck leaning slightly to the passenger's side, that's the side it ran down. It soaks the pad first so you may not notice it for a long time. If it rains enough, it'll puddle and soak the edge of the carpet. Since I also park nose down, the water collected in the passenger floorboard. I've had the truck almost a year now and it was only the recent torrential rains that allowed me to find this.
Now the fix. There is a gasket around the brake light that apparently deteriorates over time. I bought my truck used so someone had already discovered the problem and tried to fix it with strip caulking. No dice, and messy. GM does not sell the gasket. However, you can buy the brake light assembly and it comes with the gasket. It is around $83 list, $61 wholesale. I bit the bullet and bought it, but I'm going to scan the gasket and dimension it in case I need another in the future.