Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Silverado A/C Guru's INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "97 A/C..controls shorting out..

Just had my "97 Silverado X-cab to a reputable service facility to have the A/C recharged. They evacuated the system, vaccuumed it and replaced Orings at the compressor and recharged the system. I picked it up and it worked fine that day and the next day. The next morning I started it up and turned the A/C on and ... NOthing but heat at the floor and windshield. Could shut the fan down and back on but not to HIGH speed. I took it back to the shop and they worked on it again.. replacing the HVAC control panel in the dash.. test run it and test drove it around town. I picked it up and drove it home.. about 6 miles and it quit again same thing ..no COOL ..just HEAT to the floor and windshield again. I took it back and they checked it again and again replaced the HVAC control panel.. checked all wiring and grounds and test run it ..all was fine..AGAIN. I picked it up and drove it home..just 6 miles and .. the same thing again.. WHAT are they missing..? They said I should take it to a GM Dealer that there may have been a recall on something in the system. DO you have any Ideas..?? HELP..
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Russell Campbell
Just had my "97 Silverado X-cab to a reputable service facility to have the A/C recharged. They evacuated the system, vaccuumed it and replaced Orings at the compressor and recharged the system. I picked it up and it worked fine that day and the next day. The next morning I started it up and turned the A/C on and ... NOthing but heat at the floor and windshield. Could shut the fan down and back on but not to HIGH speed. I took it back to the shop and they worked on it again.. replacing the HVAC control panel in the dash.. test run it and test drove it around town. I picked it up and drove it home.. about 6 miles and it quit again same thing ..no COOL ..just HEAT to the floor and windshield again. I took it back and they checked it again and again replaced the HVAC control panel.. checked all wiring and grounds and test run it ..all was fine..AGAIN. I picked it up and drove it home..just 6 miles and .. the same thing again.. WHAT are they missing..? They said I should take it to a GM Dealer that there may have been a recall on something in the system. DO you have any Ideas..?? HELP..
Wanted to add my $0.02 since i'm in the process of debugging an AC issue on my 93 k1500.

A few things:

1. There is a gm advisory that advises the complete disconnect of the low pressure switch, which is known to be problematic. There are also other advisories that recommend examining the harness for shorts/chafing. Does the system work properly with the low pressure pigtail jumpered ?

Code:
LOW CHARGE INDICATOR FLASHES DISCONNECT CHARGE DETECTION #92-1-118 - (May 13, 1992)
SUBJECT: A/C LOW CHARGE INDICATOR FLASHES (DISCONNECT LOW CHARGE DETECTION FEATURE)

2. I found 2 shorts in the dash where the heater wiring harness meets the cassette deck bracket, which is very sharp. Also found prior electrical tape down there.

3. Located a short in the harness where it comes around the top of the engine below the passenger side of the air filter, the wire was worn through the insulation .

4. Do you smell any burning coming from the dash control unit?

I'm keeping track of my progress here, still don't have the problem solved but i feel like i'm making some ground:

AUTO: GM Trucks: Resolving AC issues | oldtimeynerd.0

Luck!