Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

sanding and painting interior pieces

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 02:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sanding and painting interior pieces

I'm going to pick up my gauge pod come the 3rd and i want to sand my a pillars down so what should i use to do this like what grit sandpaper and then i'm going to paint them but would i be better off letting someone else do it? thanks alot

marc
Old 01-01-2003, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: sanding and painting interior pieces

If you have the resources, i would paint it myself. For one its not that hard and two its alot cheaper.....unless you have a real good friend. I've painted many parts on my truck, including interior pieces. My advice is to prep the surface with a high-build primer, sand with a 400 grit then shoot the paint. go here to see examples of what i have done. If you have any other questions i'll try my best to answer them
Old 01-01-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

ok well right now i'm sanding my pieces smooth then i'm going to primer them i have a spray gun but where do you get paint to match.

marc
Old 01-01-2003, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

sanding smooth is cool, but you may want to be careful, my friend (crazyidiot4.8) sanded some of his parts and kinda messed up his parts because he didnt do them by hand. With a hih-build primer it takes alot of headache out too, because you just have to lightly sand for the primer to stick well and when it dries its almost perfectly smooth. Regardless, what your doing will work it just takes longer. As a matter of fact, I did my dash and switch panels without the high build and they look just as good. I guess its just a matter of how much time you have. I get my paint from a near by auto paint store. Look in your glove box. there should be a sticker in there with all sorts of serial numbers etc. At the bottom you'll see something like "BC: u9794" thats the color code for your body color. note that the code changes for each color. Give that number to the guy at the auto-paint store and it should match. If you cant find an auto-paint store near-by just go to a body shop and see if you can buy some, they most likey can mix you up some real quick
Old 01-01-2003, 06:31 PM
FormerVendor

one more thing. If you have an aftermarket paintjob that is not the original color of the truck, then that code in the glove box will not work. the body-shop/ paint stores are usually equipped with this handy little computer sensor that can tell you your paint code by placing it on the vehicle.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

only reason i messed up mine is cuz i got pissed/impatient and used a neumatic sander. i don't think you'll really have any problems doing it by hand.

you could prolly get by without using the primer. but if you want it to be smooth as glass i'd primer the pieces. for the most part my pieces and 1stoopidfly's are smooth. but there is still some faint traces of texture in them.

good luck finding the paint. auto paint supply shops can be hard to find sometimes. and i know on my can of paint somewhere in all the fine print it actually says "not to be sold to general public. for professional use only" or something along those lines.