Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Routing power cable through firewall

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Routing power cable through firewall

Alright, I'm new to the whole late model GM truck scene...

Anyway, the F-body cars have a nice built-in secret hole underneath the PCM which makes it very easy to route wires, cables, etc. into the cabin of the car from the engine compartment.

I'm about to start installing some audio equipment left over from other cars into my '04 Silverado, and I want to know if there's any existing place large enough for a 4ga. power cable to go through the firewall. I don't want to drill a new hole if I don't need to.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the fire wall, between the master cylinder and the fender, you'll see a black rubber gromet about 2-2.5" across. That goes straight in to the cab -- there is a wiring harness coming through the existing center hole, so I just cut an additional hole in the grommet and passed through there.

It's a strange gromet -- it has an inner donut of hard rubber and a soft rubber boot. The boot is what needs surgery.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool. That will make things easier.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GeorgeC
Cool. That will make things easier.

Man don't do it there! I might just have bad luck or be a plain old dumb ***, but I was installing my guages for the piller mount yesterday. I cut a clean x in the exact gromet to feed all of the wires through, the problem started when I tried to cut the x on the other side of the gromet through the first cut. When I appled pressure to the knife the windsheild wipers jumped, alarmed at this point I jumped in the cab to verify that nothing was on only to see a small amount of smoke coming from the stereo/ac control area. I turned the ignition on everthing seemed to work but the displays on both. After a few minutes at looking at fuses I started the truck again everthing seemed to be working. This morning on the way to work I noticed that the ac compressor will not engauge or start. I stuck my finger in the x I cut to try and feel any wires that might be damaged, everthing feels ok. If any of you guys have any idea what I messed up or how to fix it please help. Sorry for highjacking this thread I'm just too embarrased to post my own.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Er.. Take the wire loom out of the donut before you cut The donut is cut in the normal way so you can take the loom out / add new wires.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
On the fire wall, between the master cylinder and the fender, you'll see a black rubber gromet about 2-2.5" across. That goes straight in to the cab -- there is a wiring harness coming through the existing center hole, so I just cut an additional hole in the grommet and passed through there.

It's a strange gromet -- it has an inner donut of hard rubber and a soft rubber boot. The boot is what needs surgery.

i did the same thing. i had it like that for over 5 years now without of problem. i wrapped eletrical tape around the 4 gauge wire to prevent wear and tear

Old 03-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Banned

Thats exactly like mine.... been going for almost 3 years and its been fine....