Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Relay schematics. Need help interpreting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relay schematics. Need help interpreting.

I am no wiring guy. I can hook up a car battery, wire up a mobile sound system and do minor electrical work around the house. Other than that, I start a new thread or ask someone for help.

I am using this relay to control my fan. Anyone have a "this power wire goes here, this negative goes here" type of explanation on how to wire this up?

This is the schematic found on the relay.

This is the relay.

Here are the posts.

It's powering this fan.

All I'm doing is having the PCM send out a 12v signal to the relay, then powering the fan using the relay.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TYCO used to make my RC cars ttt for ya, I haven't a damn clue
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by InchUp
I am no wiring guy. I can hook up a car battery, wire up a mobile sound system and do minor electrical work around the house. Other than that, I start a new thread or ask someone for help.

I am using this relay to control my fan. Anyone have a "this power wire goes here, this negative goes here" type of explanation on how to wire this up?

This is the schematic found on the relay.

This is the relay.

Here are the posts.

It's powering this fan.

All I'm doing is having the PCM send out a 12v signal to the relay, then powering the fan using the relay.

pin 30 is you power supply from the battery. pin 87 goes to your fan. pins 85 and 86 are your coil power wires for the relay itself. if the pcm is switching power to one to turn it on and off then ground the other or vice versa.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Understand that the PCM pinout is a ground. The ground is closed (fan on) or open (fan off).

Make sure that you fuse the circuit between pin 87 and the fan. Use 12AWG for the battery to 30 and 87 to fan.

Use a switched power circuit for relay power to pin 86 and pin 85 goes to the PCM - these wires can be 18AWG - 22AWG.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Well here's the thing that confuses me. SnakeOiler says it's a ground, others say it's a positive. I had a custom harness made for my 5.7L swap into my Sonoma. The guy screwed up and didn't give me the correct gauge wires to power my fan and only fused them with 30A fuses. I have a "Fan 1" set of wires that was supposed to hook up to the positive and negative on the fan motor. I also have a "Fan 2" set of wires for an additional fan that I will use later on with my air conditioning, but they too are the same gauge and both 1 and 2 are capable of being controlled by the PCM. When I contacted the harness maker, he said all I'd have to do is run the "Fan 1" wire to a relay and then use heavy gauge wire (like 8 gauge) to power the relay and fan. Like I said, I'm no wiring guru so if need be to make this simpler I can get pictures and diagrams of my wiring harness. The harness maker knows his **** so I trust his decisions, he just forgot that I am using a huge 18" e-fan instead of dual mini fans to cool my motor.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by InchUp
Well here's the thing that confuses me. SnakeOiler says it's a ground, others say it's a positive. I had a custom harness made for my 5.7L swap into my Sonoma. The guy screwed up and didn't give me the correct gauge wires to power my fan and only fused them with 30A fuses. I have a "Fan 1" set of wires that was supposed to hook up to the positive and negative on the fan motor. I also have a "Fan 2" set of wires for an additional fan that I will use later on with my air conditioning, but they too are the same gauge and both 1 and 2 are capable of being controlled by the PCM. When I contacted the harness maker, he said all I'd have to do is run the "Fan 1" wire to a relay and then use heavy gauge wire (like 8 gauge) to power the relay and fan. Like I said, I'm no wiring guru so if need be to make this simpler I can get pictures and diagrams of my wiring harness. The harness maker knows his **** so I trust his decisions, he just forgot that I am using a huge 18" e-fan instead of dual mini fans to cool my motor.

Instead of f'in around with what he made a mistake on, will he correct it for nothing (free of charge)? If so, just send it back, have him correct it and have him send it to you. You could have a turnaround time of a week I would think if you 2nd day air'd it Your truck can wait a little bit more
Old 08-07-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I like having the relay control it and he's not returning any of my phone calls. We played phone tag for awhile back and forth leaving messages but now he just isn't calling me back. I honestly don't care, I can do this my own way and have a safer setup rather than relying on the PCM to provide 100 amps on startup.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

the PCM control is a "ground" signal
your 75amp relay is way over kill, you can get away with just a single 30 amp.

If you're going to run just one fan for now, then wire it up just like "truckstop" said to. Use a 30-40 amp fuse, and 10g wire.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
the PCM control is a "ground" signal
your 75amp relay is way over kill, you can get away with just a single 30 amp.

If you're going to run just one fan for now, then wire it up just like "truckstop" said to. Use a 30-40 amp fuse, and 10g wire.
I haven't heard of any PCM's using power to turn fans on...it should be a ground. Who tuned the PCM? Either way, truckstop's directions are spot on, now you just need to confirm that your PCM is grounding the pin it should when the engine reaches the desired fan turn on temp.