Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Power steering from hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Power steering from hell

As the name implies, I am having some severe power steering issues.
2005 Silverado 1500 4.8 WT 2WD
So I replaced the power steering pump as it had been abused and gone out and now its hard to steer sometimes like if I slow down rapidly to turn into my driveway its gets much stiffer to turn, unless you give it throttle, which it is then fine.
My father replaced the pump for me as I am in school and live 2 and a half hours away, he bought a remaned pump (Cheaper) not a brand new one.. Is there some way to vacuum out air? What is going on here guys?? I'm losing my mind! If there is some tool to use please post a link. Any hints or tips would also be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Morganwal
As the name implies, I am having some severe power steering issues.
2005 Silverado 1500 4.8 WT 2WD
So I replaced the power steering pump as it had been abused and gone out and now its hard to steer sometimes like if I slow down rapidly to turn into my driveway its gets much stiffer to turn, unless you give it throttle, which it is then fine.
My father replaced the pump for me as I am in school and live 2 and a half hours away, he bought a remaned pump (Cheaper) not a brand new one.. Is there some way to vacuum out air? What is going on here guys?? I'm losing my mind! If there is some tool to use please post a link. Any hints or tips would also be appreciated. Thanks
I'd recommend flushing the system out with Dex6 trans fluid. It's easy.

1. get a turkey baster and attach a 6in piece of hose to the end.
2. pull the fluid out of the tank
3. refill with Dex6
4. crank truck and turn steering wheel lock to lock 3-4 times
5. turn truck off
6. repeat steps 2-4 4 or 5x or until the fluid is a nice red color

If it doesn't get much better, then it's the pump or the rack. There is no pressure on the system so there shouldn't be air in the line.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

If you follow the GM method for bleeding the air out of the system you will add a couple easy extra steps in there.

Fill the pump, crank the engine, DO NOT TURN THE WHEEL...let it run a little bit and shut it off. Repeat this a few times and keep checking the level, add more as needed.

Once it no longer requires you to add more, then jack the truck up and put the front on stands so there's no resistance turning the wheels. Crank it up and turn the wheels lock to lock several times (don't hold it at the lock position as that just puts the pump into bypass), check fluid, add as needed.

Richard