Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Please Help! Interior Lights Dont Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help! Interior Lights Dont Work

So my interior lights (dome, door,map, under hood ligths) dont work I found that my sunroof is no longer working either. Checked the fuses in the engine compartment and the courtesy lights fuse was blown, I replaced it and it blew instanly. I have tore my Yukon apart and have not made any proggress. Any ideas, anybody experience this problem
Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's obviously a short somewhere...most common place for broken/frayed wires is in the driver's front door harness in the door jamb. You could check there, and another option is to get a circuit breaker and install it in place of the fuse and start dis-connecting components until the circuit breaker no longer pops. If you don't have a circuit breaker, you could take a test light, put it to the side of the fuse that goes off to the circuits, and go through the same process until the light goes dim. This must be done with all of the components on that circuit turned off or you will get an incorrect reading...and you must pay close attention that the short doesn't create a fire so keep an eye and nose out for smoke...
Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is your Yukon?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem. Driver side fuse box on the side of the dash there are two 15amp fuses on the bottom row. The fuse on the left was blow. Nothing in the manual refers to these so I didn't check them, but after doing a little reseach on the web I checked these two. Long story short it fixed now. Let me know if this helps.

Good Luck
Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

2001 Yukon, I have checked all other fuses and the courtesy light relay too but all work, thanks for the flasher idea I had heard about this before but I did not know how to go about it Thanks alot for the advise I have the front door panel take apart so I will look over all the wiring once again thanks and if anybody thinks of anything else please advise
Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, I was gonna look at some schematics for you, but my Mitchell on-demand won't log me in today. May be next week before my vendor gets out here to straighten this out. If you haven't figured it out my then, I'll see if I can help.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks again, I took a stab at it this weekend and I took the truck even further apart, checked the door wedges and and i didnt forget the sunvisor lights or the cigarrete lighters, I plugged in the circuit breaker after all the light were disconnected and the inadver power relay began to buss so I removed the relay and replaced the fuse and IT DID NOT BLOW, I checked the lights and they still didnt work checked my sunroof and NOW tHAT WORKS. some progress but i still dont have lights I found out that the relay wire feeds into the BCM. but Im kinda lost now? any suggestions? Please Help
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Did you check the interior light switch?? The one where you can turn them on and off with the door? Just an idea.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go back and re-trace my steps to see if you can get the fuse to blow again, if you moved stuff around and the fuse no longer blows, you probably disturbed the short....if the interior light switch is turned on and they're still not working, there may be an open circuit, possibly in the same area as the short (or possibly more than one fuse that's blowing?)

There could be a bad component also, such as the switch itself...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

so without the inavert relay i placed the interior light fuse and the fuse did not blow how ever as soon as i placed the inavert relay back the fuse blew again, so my kik solution as of now is to remove the inadv relay and that will allow my sunroof to work for now, do u think the BCM might be the problem?

Quick Reply: Please Help! Interior Lights Dont Work