Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

painting the dash and got a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting the dash and got a question

ok well im in the process of painting my dash right now, im sandin everything smooth (its a bitch to get it smooth) and ive got a few pieces painted already, now im ready to tackle the huge dash itself, my question is, isnt the daytime/night time sensor thing on the dash? isnt there a chance that i could mess it up when i take off the dash? if so, can yall tell me a way to take it off by not messin it up? the sensor is for the lights so automatically come on at night and shut off during the day, lemme know fellas, thx
Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've wanted to paint my dash and have been afraid to try to remove the dash. Are there instructions/diagrams somewhere that show how it is attached and what to unbolt to get the cover off? If I could get it off that would open the door to lots of interior changes I'd love to make.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just unbolt the bottom piece under the steering wheel, there's just 2 screws at the very bottom under the dash then it will pop off, then u pop off the piece around the stereo and a/c and all that stuff, it just pops off, then when u take it off, you will see the screws and stuff to take off the main piece of the dash, u have to take it off in that order or it won't work, bottom piece under steering wheel, then the frame around the stereo then the main piece of the dash, I am just not too sure about the sensor though on the main piece of the dash
Old 11-23-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

The light sensor is the black dome in the middle of the dash right by the windshield. It looks kinda like an acorn nut. Im not sure how its attached though.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by exhappen
The light sensor is the black dome in the middle of the dash right by the windshield. It looks kinda like an acorn nut. Im not sure how its attached though.
Ya I know where it is, I just don't know how to take it off without ******* up my lights, I don't want my lights to just stay off all the time or stay on, dats why I'm hoping someones done this before
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dry_kill
Ya I know where it is, I just don't know how to take it off without ******* up my lights, I don't want my lights to just stay off all the time or stay on, dats why I'm hoping someones done this before
I've recently taken mine off. The sensor will just pull out of the dash through the bottom. No problem
Old 11-23-2005, 12:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, me and the boys may have a project for the weekend. Any special prep tips, or paint to use? I painted teh bezel, but want to paint the whole dash.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by white1
Hmmm, me and the boys may have a project for the weekend. Any special prep tips, or paint to use? I painted teh bezel, but want to paint the whole dash.
I sanded mine down starting with a pretty heavy grit(just being very careful). I think I used a 180. When I got all of the texture out of the plastic, I went back over it all with a 400. I primed it the first time and it came out great, but I wanted it to be that much better, so I wet sanded it with a 350, then primed it again. It's as smooth as glass, and now I'm finishing up the rest of the interior plastic so it will all go into the booth together for paint and clear. I'm waiting on my new airbrushing kit to arrive, so I can give it my own personal touch.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did u take the whole dash part out, u know the main piece? I tried takin it out today but the bar that goes across the dash is like holding it in, the bar that goes from one a/c vent to the other on the passenger side? I kant figure out how to get it off, the bar goes all the way insde the dash of the truck so I couldn't take the dash off
Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dry_kill
How did u take the whole dash part out, u know the main piece? I tried takin it out today but the bar that goes across the dash is like holding it in, the bar that goes from one a/c vent to the other on the passenger side? I kant figure out how to get it off, the bar goes all the way insde the dash of the truck so I couldn't take the dash off
You have to remove that bar first. It's very simple once you see in there how its in(I caught hell figuring it out until I posted up on here). Just pop out the two air vents(I just used a thin flathead to pry them out. Then, you can see the white plastic clips inside holding the bar in. Push those clips in toward each other and the bar will just slide out. The bar on mine just goes from one ac vent to the other, so I'm betting your's is the same way.

Quick Reply: painting the dash and got a question