Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

No 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No 4X4

I have a problem with my 4wd. I have the autotrac on my truck and its a 99 if that makes a difference. I bought the truck about 6 months ago and checked the 4x4 and it worked fine. I used it once with no problems then i took a trip to go atv riding and on my way back home doing 70mph down the interstate in 2x4 i got a service 4x4 message. I hadn't used the 4x4 in weeks so i wasn't sure what was wrong. Got home and suddenly the 4x4 didn't work and it has been that way for the past 4 months. I can get low range but i never get any pull from the frontend. I replaced the switch and that didn't fix it so im at a loss. If i leave the engine off and engage it i can hear the front actuator buzzing but no sound from the transfer and if i engage 4low i hear a lound noise from the transfer. Any ideas. I know the tranfer motor is ok since it engages 4low and i know the switch is fine, i would think it wouldn't do anything if the module in the dash was bad and i think the front actuator is working since i can hear it doing something. Is i possible for the transfer motor to be able to engage low but not 4hi or does it have to be something inside the transfer case?
Old 01-09-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So you replaced the switch in the dash?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it to someone and have them scan the code for you. theres quite a few components that could cause the light to come on, could get expensive just replacing everything. if you don't want to have it scanned, pull the fuse for the ATC (automatic transfercase, interior fuse panel) and see if the light stays off.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevymec
So you replaced the switch in the dash?
Yes the switch was not the culprit. I must be the only one unlucky enough for the switch to not be my problem.
I had the local dealership scan it and they said the switch was bad but they were wrong because the switch wasn't the problem. Could you name off of the possible parts it could be. There cant be that many, it has to either be the transfer motor, the link between the motor and 4x4 fork or the front actuator unless its the tcase itself.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

What were the codes tha they got?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:28 PM
wrencher

Have to get the code #'s outa there to help ya.......
Old 01-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Teching In

They didn't give me any code numbers just said the code thrown was for the switch. Keep in mind this is the same dealership that i took it in to get a reflash for the rough shifting and they didn't do anything besides pull the tranny stick and say the fluid was burnt and i needed a new transmission( i had the fluid completely flushed the day before and it was as clean as if it came right out of a bottle) I paid 80$ for that diagnosis and refuse to go back. Thats why i dont really want to go back and get the code read again. i would rather **** in the wind than pay them 80$ for them to **** in it for me.

What were the codes tha they got?
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

You should go back and tell them you want the code that they pulled. You payed $80 and they need to give you the info. Also tellthem that you replaced the switch after you payed the money and it didnt work. It might not get you anywhere but I would definatly ruffle some feathers before I left.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Teching In

You should go back and tell them you want the code that they pulled. You payed $80 and they need to give you the info. Also tellthem that you replaced the switch after you payed the money and it didnt work. It might not get you anywhere but I would definatly ruffle some feathers before I left.
Ill try but i already contacted gm about the last visit and it didn't help any.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:21 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

screw that i would have someone in that dealerships head hell i have heard a story of a maro getting nuked on the jug and the guy said his son wouldnt have put it on there but there made fast so people will do stuff like that to them and kept bitching so they gave him a new motor so dont go until something is done but keep calm if you get angry that is when cops are called and you dont want that