Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

need help vortec with edlebrock top end

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default need help vortec with edlebrock top end

I need some insight here guys. I have a '97 vortec and live in a non emissions area (just visual). I am strongly considering an Edelbrock top end kit. Their P/N 2096 along with a FiTeck self tuning unit (30003)

Top end kit consists of:
7516 performer air gap intake. Vortec head style - no egr.
60985 heads, 2.02/1.60 vortec style
2207 cam, .594 lift/242 duration on 112 LSA

Heads are assembled and matched with all the other components and also has new timing set, lifters, rods etc... The new parts list also includes a built trans, rear etc.

I would go to BlackBear for tuning (waiting to hear back from them) but am worried about all the existing sensors and such.

Am I headed down the wrong path here? Concern with MAF, MAP, Evap purge solenoid, injector harness... Do these all get tuned out? You just remove the harness for them?

Help...
Old 02-19-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

FITeck self tuning unit. Why would you get a tuner involved? Maybe that is why they are not responding. I don't think anybody knows about FITeck yet to answer any of your questions. I am not going to do the research, does this system control your transmission? If not, the stock computer would have to stay online and it might use some sensors to determine shift points. Otherwise you might need a tuner to turn off the check engine light.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
FITeck self tuning unit. Why would you get a tuner involved? Maybe that is why they are not responding. I don't think anybody knows about FITeck yet to answer any of your questions. I am not going to do the research, does this system control your transmission? If not, the stock computer would have to stay online and it might use some sensors to determine shift points. Otherwise you might need a tuner to turn off the check engine light.
Yes, PCM controls the trans. I think I will need a tuner to delete all the sensors that FiTec would be controlling, guess the PCM would just communicate with the trans and gauges.

After looking further, I think the FiTech EFI 4 would be a better selection - it also controls spark. I need to call them - assuming it would be an computer controlled HEI type.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vodka0tter
I need some insight here guys. I have a '97 vortec and live in a non emissions area (just visual). I am strongly considering an Edelbrock top end kit. Their P/N 2096 along with a FiTeck self tuning unit (30003)

Top end kit consists of:
7516 performer air gap intake. Vortec head style - no egr.
60985 heads, 2.02/1.60 vortec style
2207 cam, .594 lift/242 duration on 112 LSA

Heads are assembled and matched with all the other components and also has new timing set, lifters, rods etc... The new parts list also includes a built trans, rear etc.

I would go to BlackBear for tuning (waiting to hear back from them) but am worried about all the existing sensors and such.

Am I headed down the wrong path here? Concern with MAF, MAP, Evap purge solenoid, injector harness... Do these all get tuned out? You just remove the harness for them?

Help...
Ya don't need to waste money with a tuner. I'm running a mildly built 010 block with vortec heads and aftermarket intake (edelbroke generic). D.U.I. dizzy built for my cam. I have the base model 400 horse easy street FiTech EFI system. All the sensors and widgets needed to run the efi are built in. You simply install like a carb, attach your inlet fuel line to the drivers side and return line to the passenger side of the unit. Hook up all the vacuum lines, and 6 wires for the harness. It's a simple install. You will need a fuel pump capable of 255 lhr and 50 psi for the 400 horse system. Calling FiTech is a waste of time. Your lucky to talk with someone and most of them are so new they don't know jack!