Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

853 head Notch Gasket questions

Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 853 head Notch Gasket questions

Hey guys! My truck is down!! Yaya cam time!!!

I have questions. My buddy wants to sell me a set of 853 heads on his 2000 vette for 50 bucks.

Or i have anothet guy i can get stock 706 heads for 100 bucks.

My thing is reading up of 853s i can get them milled and set up but i want to run a MLS gasket and i heard with the notch they cant. I cant find any good info on this to go with. Itll go on my 5.3.

My thing is i heard you can weld the notch and then mill it or just mill the notch out then run a mls. Ive also read there are special gaskets for ls1 motors with the notch to have a mls gasket.

I dont want to mill tomuch and go to much on my compression ratio. I guess my question is how much would i have to mill these 853s to keep stock compression and will it be enough to get ride of the notch? Or what gasket should i go with? Cant find one to match my bore size.... Any part numbers would be nice!!

Last edited by 01SilveradoJakee; 02-26-2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Adding
Old 02-26-2017, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 301 Likes on 218 Posts

i used to have an old scoggin dickey catalog that explained all the differences for these heads give them a call i bet they can help you
Old 04-18-2017, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the Cometic Gaskets. I personally prefer the GM performance cometic gaskets over everything I've used. The only downside is when you have to pull the heads down the road and clean the surfaces. But you should always get the surfaces machined IMO.

I personslly wouldn't worry about the notch. Just use the cometic GM performance gaskets from summit and be done with it. You won't be able to mill enough to get rid of the notch. And welding or filling it is going to be a hassle and will likely compromise the surface, possibly warping them.
the biggest difference you'll notice( if any), between those heads, given the same volume cc w/o any porting, will be the the sealing of the valves on the seats and the stem seals. And all that is going to be minimal.

if you mill the 853's, they are pretty decent heads. Probably net close to the same as a stock 241 if you have .040 taken off, if I remember correctly.. I've personally milled .080 off a set of 853's in the past, on a 5.3 with the factory dished Pistons for 10.5:1 compression(I think?-sorry, Going off memory). Was running a zo6 cam/springs and a tune with pretty good results. Flat tops will get you a little higher SCR..

Just do your research and use the compression calculator before hand.

Last edited by chris99gmc; 04-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Search this Thread