Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My setup & where it stands, those that asked knows those that dont i'll share

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My setup & where it stands, those that asked knows those that dont i'll share

i was asked plenty of times yesterday at SAR about my setup, i sounded and felt like a recorder lol, anyway i'll share the plan and hopefully the outcome:

Motor : lq9 block (05 ) when i bought the block it was bored .030 after mic'ing the bores none matched or wasnt to my spec's, we test fitted a piston and there was to much slop so i ( we ) decided to go .040 over which makes it a 410 CI ,the compression we'll be running will be a mere 11:8:5

the motor is being built for NITROUS!!

parts used:

Lunati pro billet series crank and rods ( thanks to quik and silver-mod-o ) it was a 3 way deal

diamond flat top pistons ( forged of course )

heads are the same heads i been running ( ls3/l92 heads ) with light weight valves milled .015 size size did not change, the rockers are stock with the trunion up grade. jesels will be on the way just not right now, theyre not cheap and i want other things to get done first

the heads have been reworked a few times and showed gains each time james ported them ( nonsponser so i wont name company)

the exhaust side which is really important to my build flowed 260-270+ i'll have to get my sheet

the intake is the FAST 102 LSXr car style, just had it ported for a direct port single stage and painted red

having a stand alone fuel system put in also to compensate for the nitrous levels that are gonna be ran.

the cam spec is a mere 251/263 designed for high levels of nitrous

i wont change anything from the trans to the rearend, personally i think the 4 link is whats keeping the rearend together, as for the trans thats a different story, just something we'll have to see.

the outcome:

with the 102 plate system it will be incorperated within the setup and the direct port

for starters we'll dial it in NA, too its peak performance, mind you the cam is designed for nitrous so i dont expect ungoddly numbers from it. then again i just might get a NA cam and see what it'll do hahaha i doubt it

this is how its gonna work:

once dialed in NA, we'll hit it with a 100-150 shot off the line like i did with the 6.0 and tweak the tune during the process, once we're there on the 100-150 we'll roll in the 150-200 shot off the direct port, once this is dialed in we'll move the shots up from the plate to the direct port.

theres gonna be alot of R&R going into this setup in the hopes it can handle the full potiental we plan on putting it through, James told me the short block is built to handle any amount of nitrous i plan to spray it with, with that said im anticipating a healthy shot in the end. I mentioned 600 but then its gonna be all about how it reacts and holds up, would i like to see 600? i'll be happy with 300-400 lol !! 600 just sounds to DAMN scary lmao!!

this week we would be putting her back together and hopefully tuning her this coming weekend, in hopes to break her in, then she'll be getting her cage put in, then we'll hit the track and see what she'll do NA then a small shot of nitrous

as for the rpm levels, thats gonna depend on where the power comes in and flat lines or drops off, yes a dyno would be needed. id like to spin the motor just north of 8k , just gonna have to waite and see where the power comes and goes, plus o got word the stock pcm wont handle rpm levels pass 8k ( thanks guys )

anyway it'll be interesting as i get ready for the houston performance trucks shootout come april

any questions, feel free to ask
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna be a beast man. Can't wait to see the results
Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like it will be stout off the bottle to but should really wake up with it. Sill be glad to see the outcome of it. Good luck

But one question why the fast and not a carb style intake?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by southern_chevy
Sounds like it will be stout off the bottle to but should really wake up with it. Sill be glad to see the outcome of it. Good luck

But one question why the fast and not a carb style intake?
good question, BUT at the time i bought the intake my goals were only set on NA power, i just found out theres a edelbrock vic jr for the l92 heads, what i really found out the design of them are pretty much the same as the super vic, thus might be the reason we might not see one ( super vic l92 )

pending the outcome on the setup and how things go there maybe a ultimate NA setup coming soon i mean a serious NA setup

i also think a 4" bore with such intake wouldnt perform as good! without really turning up the rpms
Old 02-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you get bored with this motor swap everything over to and lsx block and still run the 4" crank but go on out to about 4.155 and run some ls7 heads.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you say lighter intake valves are you comparing to the L92 or hollow LS3 valves? Do you know how many grams each weighs? L92/LS3/valve you're running.

How much was your trunion upgrade and from what company? PM me if needed.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to be a beast skeet, cant wait to hear how it does once on the spray.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

cant wait to see it at the track skeet. Let me know if i can help in anyway. btw I sent u a pm on rgvt
Old 02-28-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Once you get bored with this motor swap everything over to and lsx block and still run the 4" crank but go on out to about 4.155 and run some ls7 heads.
thats the plan, LSX block , i'll use the heads i have until something seriously gives or im convience there done, as in gotten the full use out of them. i'll be looking into intakes sometime this year , we seem to be on the same track though i been doing some serious reading on NA setups, i do have procharge and or turbo in the back of my mind, but im closer to the NA thing since i have the parts that will perform on bigger cubic motors

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
When you say lighter intake valves are you comparing to the L92 or hollow LS3 valves? Do you know how many grams each weighs? L92/LS3/valve you're running.

How much was your trunion upgrade and from what company? PM me if needed.

Stock Valve Weight Stainless Valve Weight Hollow Stem Valve Weight
106 Grams 122 Gram 91 Grams

LS3 valves ( hollow ) are the way to go on any setup. you always wanna keep the valvetrain as light as possible. im satisfied with the valves im using now which are from REV, we were gonna go full out with inconel but figured it just wasnt worth it at this point right now.i had 8k rpms in my mind but honestly the more i look at it on paper and using software it seems like our power will be coming in alot sooner than expected, James has been a huge help figuring things out and which way we wanted to go.. the dyno will tell the tale

good news to day, since the link bar lifters are so far out ( backorder), we got a set of morels in saturday, with new trays. makes since and saved money gonna have a busy end of week, putting this thing back together !! gotta pick up torque converter from chris wednesday! but she'll be complete for NA then the following week the nitrous will be built and ready to roll

Originally Posted by amadeospike
cant wait to see it at the track skeet. Let me know if i can help in anyway. btw I sent u a pm on rgvt

thanks spike, answered your pm, but i didnt know plans changed why i was in San Antonio but i just might get them anyway since there hard to get

Last edited by skeet; 02-28-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I cant wait to turn the screws on that thing David. I think I'm more interested in getting your truck to leave right this year finally than I am getting mine running looking forward to seeing some 1.3's this season... and maybe a little sky under that left front

Quick Reply: My setup & where it stands, those that asked knows those that dont i'll share