Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

My one problem with General Motors....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My one problem with General Motors....

While having a discussion with a die hard ford guy at work today he brought to my attention that GM lacks the product line of other domestic makers. Ford has the Lightning - Harley-Davidson - Mustang - Cobra - Saleen and etc..Dodge has the RCSB Hemi's everywhere - Daytona - SRT10 - Rumble Bee - SRT4 - Charger and so on. While Chevrolet has VERY few RCSB 5.3's out there - SS Truck and TrailBlazer - - - - And thats pretty much it! That just pisses me off! And they wonder why they are talking abour bankruptcy! Damnit!
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Launching!

u forgot the crovette
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Ok, sorry - Corvette and comparably priced to the Viper and Ford GT - A DAMN good deal! But other than that.....?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

The Lightning and Cobra are out of production, the GT is in it's last run, Saleen is a tuner much like LPE for GM, and the new Harley D is a stripe and wheel package. Dodge Ram Daytonas, Rumble Bees, etc are also stripe packages. If you are going to include the SRT-4 (also out of production) then don't leave out the Cobalt SS. Chevy also has 300 hp Impalas, Montes, and Pontiac has the Grand Prix GXP, although they all use the wrong set of wheels to propel them. Don't forget the Caddy V-series cars, and the GTO until the end of the year.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good call tdrumm. I was going to add those as well...

BTW, where in NE NJ are you at. I assume you go to Island dragway from time to time?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget the Grand Prix with the modified truck 5.3L

Intresting....
Old 05-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Launching!

I do agree, But, Some of those vehicles may be sticker and stripe packages, but they are something DIFFERENT...appeals to a small crowd and does boost sales slightly...
Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

I read an article sometimes back that discussed this. The article said that a team working for GM to produce performance vehicles to compete with Ford got fed up with GM Management and they all quit GM and went to work for Ford and Dodge. Which led to where GM is today with it's performance vehicles. I don't know if this article had any truth to it or if it was just someone trying to spread rumors.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally laugh at the people that buy those sticker and wheel packages. It just seems to be a gimmick to but their trucks. I like the fact that GM hasn't done this, it seems cheesy to me.

And never mind the price for the packages, it would be cheaper to do it yourself(look better too).

If the package includes some good performance gain i.e. supercharger or a big motor then its not too bad. Its just the sticker and wheels packages that are cheese to me.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually think GM is smart for not producing as much performance speciality vehicles compared to other car companies. Most potential car buyers are NOT looking for a perfromance vehicle. Most people just want a reliable car that will get them from point A to point B, regardless of how fast it is or how it looks. Alot of people would love to have a Corvette Z06, for example, but nobody really NEEDS a Z06. Of course, we as enthusiasts suffer from the lack of performance vehicles but we only make up a small percentage of potential car buyers. That's why the GTO, Ford GT, Lightning, F-body, etc. are either extinct or soon to be gone. What ever happened to Ford's SVT? There wasn't a demand for them compared to Ford's "regular" vehicle lineup. As a car enthusiast, it was great the see the return of the Camaro but I would be surprised if the Camaro stayed in production for 5 years.

Quick Reply: My one problem with General Motors....