Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

mustang race

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:54 AM
Truck addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang race

i stop at the same mom and pop convenient store almost everyday. i have built up a friendship with the people that work there. in our conversations we have talked about racing and cars and such. well, one of their buddies has an older 86 ish mustang. the engine in the car is a transplant and he said it was a 306 stroker or 308 stroker. something like that. so after i got my cutout installed i decide to stop by and see if the mustang guy was there. he was.

he wanted to run me to see what that car would do. i obliged and we headed out to a non populated spot. on the first run from a dig, i pulled hard and was able to change from my lane to in front of him. (trust me, it was a lot of room). i stayed in it and glanced back and then his car just got a burst and was on my *** quick.

second run, i pulled him hard from the line again. not as much this time but still out front. then around 65 or 70 he just shot past me.

last few runs were done at around 55 on and he pulled me both times doing that.

the guy was utterly shocked that he got spanked off the line as bad as he did. i spun each time taking off. also, i had a full tank of petrol and full weight of the truck. no weight reduction at all. sure i might have spun more, but i don't think he would have walked on me as bad up top.

i'll be back when i get the 4.10 gears and cam installed to see what the outcome will be.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:45 AM
14 Second Truck Club

You beat him off the line at least. I'm sure that guy had a bunch of crap done to it, being it was a stroker. What cam are you going with by the way?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you know what gears he had? I thought the stock mustangs in the olden days had like 2.73 gears or something which would be a good reason why he took off at 60 mph.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Truck addict

i am going with a 98 vette cam. nothing major or fancy. i know i will never have the fastest truck out there so if i can get a mod here and there for cheap i'll go for it. even though it might not get the most gains or fastest et's.

i looked at the engine and it was the nicest thing about the car. he had gt40 heads, holley 600 or slightly larger carb, headers, dual exhaust. mech fuel pump, knn filter with the xcelarator top. i think it was accel ignition and wires. he still had the clutch fan also.

you and i must be putting down about the same hp numbers. my best is 14.8 but at 93 mph. that was on a cold day also.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

If you switch to 4.10's, then you will beat him even more of the line, but he'll pull past you even more on the top end. Life's a trade off and nothings free. That's cool though that you could whoop a Fox body. There's no excuse for him, those cars are so easy and cheap to make fast.

I guess I could say......Nice Kill!
Old 09-23-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by goshawk23
i am going with a 98 vette cam.
2000 Y-cam, unless you picked up one from someone else.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

"full tank of petrol"

you're not a bloody brit are you?
Old 09-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by BigKID
2000 Y-cam, unless you picked up one from someone else.
sorry kenny, i stand corrected. i am confused easily. no not a brit. just like using other words from time to time. makes me feel smart .

he did say that car had 2.73 gears. which i know from having those gears in my z28 that i would take him off the line. i just figured with an engine pushing some decent power it wouldn't be that bad.

i am gonna trade off the top end for the low end. not sure how i am gonna like it. if i don't like it i will just go back with another set of 3.73's.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get to work and get those gears in. This transgo kit is collecting dust, and I think I'm going to go ahead and get the tune for some 3.73s.

Originally Posted by goshawk23
sorry kenny, i stand corrected. i am confused easily. no not a brit. just like using other words from time to time. makes me feel smart .

he did say that car had 2.73 gears. which i know from having those gears in my z28 that i would take him off the line. i just figured with an engine pushing some decent power it wouldn't be that bad.

i am gonna trade off the top end for the low end. not sure how i am gonna like it. if i don't like it i will just go back with another set of 3.73's.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, yeah, nice 1/8th kill on the mustang. I would have loved to see the look on his face when an ecsb truck yanked his *** out of the hole like that! Priceless.

Quick Reply: mustang race