Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Ls1 swap in my 01 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 swap in my 01 Sierra

So I just picked a low mileage ls1 and would like to get a few opinions on what to do with it. I need a new transmission so I figure might as well do a motor swap while I'm in there. Current setup on my 5.3 is some Pacesetter longtubes with a 3" true dual exhaust with magnaflow race bullets, e-fans and a modded factory cai

I'll probably go ahead and get a UD pulley and a real CAI (need opinions on the best option for that) but torn between using either the ls6 intake, stock truck intake or go with something like the lsxrt or a Holley hi rise (incase I boost later)
Debating on a cam as well as I have no crank pulley currently on the ls1 at all it'd be easy to get to.

This truck will be used for fun and towing not serious drag racing or anything just building for ***** n giggles. Might like a little sound out of it as I have to get a "smog" here in CA and would kind of like it to be worth it. What cam might you suggest? I'm going to go with a 4l80 trans as well from gm performance parts with a 2year warranty. What size stall should I stick with for towing applications? Was originally thinking something like a SSHT cam mostly cause I got a friend trying to sell me his...... But will it be too big for towing purposes?

Think that's my starting point and open to any help you guys got for me. Thanks
Old 11-08-2016, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

LSXRT and holly high rise would be a waste of money. The LSX intake the biggest waste of cash period, $1,000+ for very minimal gains and something you'd regret and have to deal with it having sealing issues.

Stick with a truck intake, go with a NNBS intake for better flow than the NBS intake. It will take boost just fine if you went that route. You want that intake for torque.

Real CAI is kinda meh to me, a Airaid intake tube is just as good. The factory intake box already pulls in cool air and with the swiss cheese mod the underside it will flow plenty of air.

I have no idea what the specs are on that SSHT cam, so I couldn't tell you if it was too big for a standard daily driver and good for towing.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FFDP
LSXRT and holly high rise would be a waste of money. The LSX intake the biggest waste of cash period, $1,000+ for very minimal gains and something you'd regret and have to deal with it having sealing issues.

Stick with a truck intake, go with a NNBS intake for better flow than the NBS intake. It will take boost just fine if you went that route. You want that intake for torque.

Real CAI is kinda meh to me, a Airaid intake tube is just as good. The factory intake box already pulls in cool air and with the swiss cheese mod the underside it will flow plenty of air.

I have no idea what the specs are on that SSHT cam, so I couldn't tell you if it was too big for a standard daily driver and good for towing.

The SSHT cam is a 228/232 .612/.600 111
Definitely a little aggressive I think for towing. Going to call to find out what size stall it will need but hoping no more then a 3,000

It's very torquey in a LS1 and sounds killer to boot. Thank you for all of your input I'm going to take all that into consideration especially as I'm trying to do this on the cheap. So the intake ports on a NNBS and NBS line up just fine? Any fuel rail issues?
Old 11-11-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Opinion from someone that has the LSXRT.....

I believe they solved the sealing issues when they changed to the black manifolds but I have no proof of this. The manifold barely fits in the truck body which makes install and removal a PITA. You have to remove the alt, relocate map sensor, bend steam pipe, figure out what to do with your two wiring harnesses. It requires a bit of work. I also feel like the evap solenoid port isnt sized right or it isn't held down well. It feels too wiggly. The 50 dollar cross over they try to sell you doesn't even fit their fuel rails so I made my own. Its 50 dollars extra to buy their fuel rail mounting kit for stock rails and another 50 dollars for an adapter plate if you dont swap over to the 4 bolt TB.

I only did it cause it was a fun project and having the truck modded out a little bit makes me happy. Sadly im in bumper to bumper traffic 90% of the time unless I am on the bike. DMV life...

But it does look super cool and have some bragging rights. Here is my install please excuse the Xlink harness mess I literally just installed it.
Attached Thumbnails Ls1 swap in my 01 Sierra-15000269_10157647502210290_7060133031675720495_o.jpg  
Old 11-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Opinion from someone that has the LSXRT.....

I believe they solved the sealing issues when they changed to the black manifolds but I have no proof of this. The manifold barely fits in the truck body which makes install and removal a PITA. You have to remove the alt, relocate map sensor, bend steam pipe, figure out what to do with your two wiring harnesses. It requires a bit of work. I also feel like the evap solenoid port isnt sized right or it isn't held down well. It feels too wiggly. The 50 dollar cross over they try to sell you doesn't even fit their fuel rails so I made my own. Its 50 dollars extra to buy their fuel rail mounting kit for stock rails and another 50 dollars for an adapter plate if you dont swap over to the 4 bolt TB.

I only did it cause it was a fun project and having the truck modded out a little bit makes me happy. Sadly im in bumper to bumper traffic 90% of the time unless I am on the bike. DMV life...

But it does look super cool and have some bragging rights. Here is my install please excuse the Xlink harness mess I literally just installed it.

Wtf that's crazy and thank you for sharing I appreciate it..that's a lot of work for some unnecessary things that need to get done.

I may just use the current manifold that's on there or if I can't sell my Ls6 intake maybe throw that on there for more top end stuff lol
Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a NNBS intake like mentioned make sure you get a cathedral port one off a TBSS or a 5.3/4.8. Half the time when you find a NNBS intake luckily it will come with rails Ive seen alot
Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GRRR65GTO
If you get a NNBS intake like mentioned make sure you get a cathedral port one off a TBSS or a 5.3/4.8. Half the time when you find a NNBS intake luckily it will come with rails Ive seen alot
How much power you think could be had by using that one vs my current intake?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw a member here pick up 15 RW on a stock escalade. One of the better documented examples.

By the specs, I would be shocked if that cam could pass smog.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
I saw a member here pick up 15 RW on a stock escalade. One of the better documented examples.

By the specs, I would be shocked if that cam could pass smog.
Oh it's not passing smog right now with just my full exhaust. That's why I want to make it a little nastier and worth while since I have to "get it smogged" I need a cam up to a 3,000 stall as that's the biggest I've seen with tow capabilities still