Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Lower radiator hose question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower radiator hose question

Looking for a little info on the lower radiator hose on these trucks. I slid under the truck yesterday to size up my radiator swap and noticed an odd setup. Im used to the single hose off the radiator going to the water pump held on by a hose clamp or squeeze band. Well, this thing doesnt seem to have a hose clamp or a band on it at all....almost looks like it screws on or something. Can someone give me some quick tips on getting that lower hose disconnected from the radiator?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 AM
TECH Addict

Also, i will be hooking up another trany oil cooler in front of the Radiator, however, it will be used as an engine oil cooler instead of a trany cooler....I assume this should work fine. It is a 2003 GM OEM stock trany cooler, just like the one thats already mounted on the truck. The Dmax radiator has no built in engine oil cooler. I am looking to keep the stock oil cooler lines intact (i dont want to cut them), only extend them a little bit to reach around the front of the new Dmax radiator. I am trying to find out what connection type GM uses on the trany/engine oil cooler lines. I know its a push-in with snap ring connection, but im trying to find out if they make couplings or an adapter i can use to connect to the existing line without cutting it. Does anyone know if they make such a thing or even what that connection is called by GM? Is there a special tool to remove them like for the fuel rail connections?

Thanks.

Last edited by Linda; 05-26-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you aren't getting any answers I'll put in my 2 cents:

keep in mind I have a 1500 with a 4.8L / 4L60e, so relavence may vary....

when I added my tranny cooler I noted that the "snap ring" on the cooler line was merely a retainer for the fitting, the line just unscrewed from the radiator. the threads looked similar to IPT, but this was over a year ago, I could be mistaken, however my tranny cooler kit from B&M included a couple of fittings. One fitting screwed into the radiator and had barbed hose connection on the other side, another fit on the tranny line removed and again, barbed hose connection on the other side. From there you simply ran the supplied hose to the cooler and back, connecting to the barbed fittings (the tranny cooler also had barbed ends for the hose). The hoses were secured with the supplied hose clamps from the kit.

Like I said, this may or may not be relavent, but GM is known to keep things like that similar, so it may be worth investigating.... good luck
Old 05-27-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nickvrebel
since you aren't getting any answers I'll put in my 2 cents:

keep in mind I have a 1500 with a 4.8L / 4L60e, so relavence may vary....

when I added my tranny cooler I noted that the "snap ring" on the cooler line was merely a retainer for the fitting, the line just unscrewed from the radiator. the threads looked similar to IPT, but this was over a year ago, I could be mistaken, however my tranny cooler kit from B&M included a couple of fittings. One fitting screwed into the radiator and had barbed hose connection on the other side, another fit on the tranny line removed and again, barbed hose connection on the other side. From there you simply ran the supplied hose to the cooler and back, connecting to the barbed fittings (the tranny cooler also had barbed ends for the hose). The hoses were secured with the supplied hose clamps from the kit.

Like I said, this may or may not be relavent, but GM is known to keep things like that similar, so it may be worth investigating.... good luck
Thanks for the input NICKVREBEL, can you tell me where you got your cooler and if you had to specify what vehicle you had when you ordered it? Or did it just come with an assortment of fittings? Any idea about the lower radiator hose?
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

u can get the coolers at any auto part store for about 50.00
Old 05-28-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do like Randy said above, but mine came from Summit Racing, it's the B&M transmission cooler that includes the hoses and fittings, the ones without the hose are bigger, but they have different connections

it is not vehicle specific, there is extra connectors for a different thread pattern that I had left over from the kit