Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Low Coolant Light?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low Coolant Light?

So in driving to work a few hours ago, I happen to misjudge a bump on the road and hit it pretty straight on. I quickly pulled over to the side and checked the undercarriage of my 01 Single cab Silverado to check for any damage but nothing thankfully. I did notice that my wheel well cover on the passenger side was loose, but that was in worn shape prior to this experience. Long story short when resuming my commute, the low engine coolant light came on. Once reaching my destination, I parked and thoroughly checked my truck to find leaks or damage to my radiator. But thankfully nothing. Has anyone experienced or know a tip on why my coolant light might have come on? Any suggestions would be great. Coolant level was appropriate BTW when checked.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably the sensor in the coolant overflow tank. Either got wet from the loose wheel well cover and shorted or the bump loosened the wire connections. I would start looking there first, especially if the coolant level is correct.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Probably the sensor in the coolant overflow tank. Either got wet from the loose wheel well cover and shorted or the bump loosened the wire connections. I would start looking there first, especially if the coolant level is correct.

Awesome thanks for this! Will inspect it more thoroughly when I get off. I hope the sensor didn't short. Didn't see any hose damage from the radiator, nor the radiator itself being damaged or leaking from underneath the engine. Think like you stated the impact of the bump may have gotten those wires loose. I'll start there and buy some more fluid when off. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

The sensor is on the bottom of the tank so it probably got hit. If you want to get rid of the sensor just connect the two wires together.
The following users liked this post:
S14serge (05-10-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Atomic
The sensor is on the bottom of the tank so it probably got hit. If you want to get rid of the sensor just connect the two wires together.

Awesome advice ATOMIC!! Makes total sense seeing as that was the area my truck took the most impact! In surveying the scene last night, that was the case the sensor broke off! My coolant tank unit is in bad shape anyways so I'm going to replace the whole unit and keep the sensor. Thanks so much for the feed back!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by S14serge
Awesome advice ATOMIC!! Makes total sense seeing as that was the area my truck took the most impact! In surveying the scene last night, that was the case the sensor broke off! My coolant tank unit is in bad shape anyways so I'm going to replace the whole unit and keep the sensor. Thanks so much for the feed back!
if you plan to replace the entire tank you should highly consider one of Atomics tanks they look great and are much tougher than plastic!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
if you plan to replace the entire tank you should highly consider one of Atomics tanks they look great and are much tougher than plastic!
Never heard of then will look into them right now!

Search this Thread