PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/)
-   -   Low Coolant Light? (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gmt-800-older-gm-general-discussion-130/low-coolant-light-548994/)

S14serge 05-10-2017 01:30 PM

Low Coolant Light?

So in driving to work a few hours ago, I happen to misjudge a bump on the road and hit it pretty straight on. I quickly pulled over to the side and checked the undercarriage of my 01 Single cab Silverado to check for any damage but nothing thankfully. I did notice that my wheel well cover on the passenger side was loose, but that was in worn shape prior to this experience. Long story short when resuming my commute, the low engine coolant light came on. Once reaching my destination, I parked and thoroughly checked my truck to find leaks or damage to my radiator. But thankfully nothing. Has anyone experienced or know a tip on why my coolant light might have come on? Any suggestions would be great. Coolant level was appropriate BTW when checked.

53bowtie 05-10-2017 02:43 PM

Probably the sensor in the coolant overflow tank. Either got wet from the loose wheel well cover and shorted or the bump loosened the wire connections. I would start looking there first, especially if the coolant level is correct.

S14serge 05-10-2017 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 53bowtie (Post 5408582)
Probably the sensor in the coolant overflow tank. Either got wet from the loose wheel well cover and shorted or the bump loosened the wire connections. I would start looking there first, especially if the coolant level is correct.

Awesome thanks for this! Will inspect it more thoroughly when I get off. I hope the sensor didn't short. Didn't see any hose damage from the radiator, nor the radiator itself being damaged or leaking from underneath the engine. Think like you stated the impact of the bump may have gotten those wires loose. I'll start there and buy some more fluid when off. Thanks!

Atomic 05-10-2017 03:14 PM

The sensor is on the bottom of the tank so it probably got hit. If you want to get rid of the sensor just connect the two wires together.

S14serge 05-11-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic (Post 5408588)
The sensor is on the bottom of the tank so it probably got hit. If you want to get rid of the sensor just connect the two wires together.

Awesome advice ATOMIC!! Makes total sense seeing as that was the area my truck took the most impact! In surveying the scene last night, that was the case the sensor broke off! My coolant tank unit is in bad shape anyways so I'm going to replace the whole unit and keep the sensor. Thanks so much for the feed back!

dantheman1540 05-11-2017 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by S14serge (Post 5408662)
Awesome advice ATOMIC!! Makes total sense seeing as that was the area my truck took the most impact! In surveying the scene last night, that was the case the sensor broke off! My coolant tank unit is in bad shape anyways so I'm going to replace the whole unit and keep the sensor. Thanks so much for the feed back!

if you plan to replace the entire tank you should highly consider one of Atomics tanks they look great and are much tougher than plastic!

S14serge 05-11-2017 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dantheman1540 (Post 5408727)
if you plan to replace the entire tank you should highly consider one of Atomics tanks they look great and are much tougher than plastic!

Never heard of then will look into them right now!