Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

intake leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default intake leaking

Well I thought I had a leak from my intercooler or piping, so I decided to plug either end and see. (Right from the beginning i've never been able to run the 10 psi i'm set for I might see 5 in the beginning nut that bleeds off pretty quick down to nothing.) After about i min with 15 psi, no leaking. So I uncapped the end with the guage and hooked it back into my intake to see if i was leaking there. I'm not sure how much air is going in but it was coming out pretty fast. I could hear it so I sprayed soapy water to the throttle body and front of the intake, right away i got bubbles from the front passenger side of the intake where it meets the head. I thought I had it torqued down when I re installed it last year but mabey not. I looked and it says 44lbs first pass and finish with 89lbs. Well I went for 44 first and it kept on turning and turning then snap Then it all came back and i'll be damned if I haven't done this before. So no I can't remember on what I put em ay but it sure wasn't 44. So no what? I've gotta pull the intake to get the bolt out, but I think i'm gonna look for grade 8 bolts and replace and torque them down that way.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You just wrote 44lbs and 89lbs, so we have no idea what you were really trying to torque them to, but hopefully you were attempting to torque them to inch-pounds and not foot-pounds.

a. Tighten the intake manifold bolts a first pass in sequence to 44 lb in.
b. Tighten the intake manifold bolts a final pass in sequence to 89 lb in.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going by the guide on ls1howto.com. And now that i re-look it is inch not foot, that'll do er. I was looking at the one underneith and its in foot so thats where the confusion was.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K, I just went out and checked with my 1/4 drive torque which is in inch and the others are at the 89lbs/in. So I take it the front one was also and if thats the case, the boost was pushing through that.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you need new gaskets when you go in to get that bolt out.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did the same thing to me...changed to arp intake bolts and ain't had a problem since
Old 10-16-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope it's not the gaskets as they are fairly new with the engine build, maybe about 10000 kms in the past few years as i only drive it from oct to march.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chvy=power
mine did the same thing to me...changed to arp intake bolts and ain't had a problem since
Whatdid you torque them too? 89 or a little more. I've heard that over tightening them can cause leaking also.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got the intake off now and the gaskets don't look like there's a peticular spot thats leaking. Then I remembered I had a spare complete gasket set in my shop, looking at the new and the old; the side of the gasket thats on the head is squished flat. I'm gonna put the new one in and see.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the intake on last week and presureized the system an it held at about 10-15. So I got the supercharger back on, and went for a drive. I was seeing no boost, now what? Checked under the hood and I for got the belt! That'll teach me for being overzelous. Put the belt on and went out but didn't get a chance to redline it all i seen was 1-2 psi. So i took it out today on the stretch to work and went from stopped to redline and the best I saw was 4 psi. Could it be losing boost right out of the supercharger? When I get some time in the next couple days i'm gonna disconnect it from the intercooler and hook it up direct.

Quick Reply: intake leaking