Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I need some opinions...(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some opinions...(kinda long)

Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some opinions from anyone that cares to read this. haha.

So, I have a 2wd ext short box 2001 Silverado. I have had the truck for around 3 years now. Absolutely love these trucks. I put a 4/6 drop on it, and an exhaust. Not a ton done to it yet. I daily drive the truck all year round up here in Canada. I use it to pull my car to the race track, and other things you would do with your typical pick up truck. It is a 4.8L with roughly 118 000 miles on it. However, as most of us on this site, we want to make things faster. Since my car is what I spend my money on going fast, I haven't been in a hurry to make my truck fast. So I have just been collecting parts here and there. I have an LQ4 6.0L that I bought. I have stripped it down, cleaned up the block and put it on a stand at the shop. I have a 4.00" Callies crank that I picked up for it, and I also picked up a set of L92 heads. My plan was to build a 408 for the truck, and maybe hang a 76mm turbo off the side for good measure backed by a 4L80. I figure that will tow nicely, and when the car breaks at the track, just un-hook the trailer and run the truck!

So, that is the plan for my truck. However, My Father in-law just bought a new truck, and offered his old truck up to us for a decent price. It is a 2003 RCSB GMC 4x4 fully loaded, 20" wheels, lowered 2/3 with LOTS of Highway miles on it, roughly 212 000miles. My wife has a 1995 RCSB Silverado 4x4. It has a fair bit of miles on it, 193 000miles. We figured we would try to sell it and buy the 2003 off of Her Dad. We cleaned it up, and put it up for sale around 2 pm today. At 6pm the truck sold, and it will be gone tomorrow. So, long story short we are buying the 2003.

My wife ultimately wants to get an SUV, but it wasn't on our argent to do list. So, the 2003 RCSB, though it is still a very nice truck, isn't want she wants to drive for a long time anyway.

So, my question that I need opinions on, Do I continue on the same plan that I had with the extended cab with less miles on it? Or do I sell my truck when the SUV shows up, and just build up the RCSB? Yes it has a ton of miles on it, but it really was on the highway everyday. The thing drives like a new truck still. Also, if I am going to put a bunch of power through it, all the high mileage stuff is going to be replaced.

I like the extended cab truck, but, it isn't my first color choices, the RCSB is a nicer looking truck, as it is a deep charcoal, one sold color truck. I really do like the step sides too. At the end of the day, my ECSB is STILL old man green and tan two tone.

What do you do to a 4x4 truck to make it live with power? What route do you go with? Would I be putting a beefier front diff in the truck? I know the transfer case wont take much power for very long. Nor will the 212 000mile 4L60. If any of the 4x4 guys making some power could give me any info, that would be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read along.

Here is a couple pics of my ECSB. I don't have any pics of the RCSB yet, but I will get some soon.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the drivetrains seem to hold up to power pretty well, the stuff that breaks is usually going to break anyway. I'm not aware of any front diff upgrades that are common, and strongest trans would be a 4L80E and a HD transfer case. I plan to convert my 4x4 to AWD with SS parts some day, and there will be a H/C LQ9 with about 500 flywheel hp bolted to it.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Well, that is good to hear. We pick the truck up this weekend. So I should probably make the RCSB the fun truck.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LowSilver
Well, that is good to hear. We pick the truck up this weekend. So I should probably make the RCSB the fun truck.
Sounds like a good plan to me
Old 02-26-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

im in for pics
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Well, I brought the truck home to day. We now have three trucks, and all of them are lowered somewhat. haha. The 2003 RCSB is the highest, but it is a 4x4. Once my wife buys an SUV, I will be lowering it more. Not sure what to do with the ZQ8 Sonoma. It is just sitting on the driveway getting covered in road dirt...

It still has the winter wheels on it. It came with a nice set of 20's too.