Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

I have a hole in the side of my block

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still confused as to how the hell there wasn't coolant and oil ALL over the place. Your oil pressure would've been like 0psi too. WTF? I'm surprised it didn't sieze during your 5 mile trip.

Holes just don't appear in blocks. There must've been a flaw in the casting, and that has nothing to do with the tuner. No rod or piston eh? I want some pics!
Old 04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could have a hole in your block and still hold water and oil. some oil might spash out.

i want to see some pic's of this. should be cool, what i dont understand is how it got there with the motor still running.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

...me too
Old 04-30-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly, but it'd be pretty amazing to have a "beer can sized" hole, with no coolant or oil leaking!

There must have of been a casting flaw or some really bad porosity. The bad tune might have of caused some serious knocking. This probably caused a crack, and it then propagated and the rest is history.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is redaddiction here is exactly what happened.

I did a heads/cam and got a mail order tune. I drove it over to my buddies house and we tried to see what it did and we hit the rev limiter really early and the truck bounced off and wouldnt shift into third. This was not good and it is actually something I thought the tuner should of had fixed too because my previous tune was done by him and we had this issue resolved or so I thought.

After driving to my friends house the truck would not start because the starter went out. After replacing it the truck started and was leaking coolant and knocking so I put turned it off and went to get my trailer. After some time went by I disassemble the motor and put the new headgasket on. When I started it up there was some smoke but I thought it was just the little bit of oil I spilt on the headers.

I then drove to the exhaust shop and when my dad go there to pick me up he said I was leaking fluids. It was oil and I figured it was the dipstick tube since my dad had moved it to get one of the sparkplugs in. The next day the exhaust shop called me and told me they found the hole and it was the size of the bottom of a beer can.

I figured the damage was already done when the headgasket originally let go and when it was knocking so when we got it going again it just finally let the rod go out the block. I am not surpised I did not hear anything because it is pretty loud with open headers.

I think that covers everything and hope I answered any questions.

Marc

Big tex give me a call still
Old 04-30-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Must have been a Light beer can LOL!!!! Sorry Marc, at least you are getting a bigger built engine!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Must have been a Light beer can LOL!!!! Sorry Marc, at least you are getting a bigger built engine!!!!
Yep I spoke with BigTex tonight(Thanks again Richard) and we worked a deal out on a ARE 423 motor so maybe Parish needs to look out.

The good thing about this is I already have a fast 90 mm intake sitting here and I already have longtubes with 3 in. true duals.

Big power here I come
Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bring it on!!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

still want to know how the tuning and the rev limiter caused a hole in the block
Old 05-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02denali
still want to know how the tuning and the rev limiter caused a hole in the block
Me too! I thought that is what the rev limiter is for, keeps the rods from sticking through the block.

Quick Reply: I have a hole in the side of my block