Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

How many of you had to have repairs done right after purchase? GM QA complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy How many of you had to have repairs done right after purchase? GM QA complaints?

Just wondering. My 04 Yukon - So far the front bumper was not aligned correctly (white truck so I noticed the gaps immediately), Sealer / weatherstipping is poking out in one small section where the front window and the dash meet in the interior, and yesterday I crawled under her to lube up the ball joints and such (they were popping a little in slow turns) and noticed that the boot on the greasable tie rod end where it mates to the spindle started spitting out grease as soon as I started to lube it. The boot is split where it seals to the tie rod end. So the truck is going back in to have alignment done and the driver side tie rod replaced tomorrow.

Just wondering is you all have had similar minor issues with your new trucks when you bought them. What did you notice or have to have the dealer rectify when it was new, if anything. After all the reading I have done on QC issues at GM (which were supposedly rectified as of this year - piston slap is one that comes to mind) I am not sure if I should be overly concerned or if this is really minor issues and I should not worry about it.

I want the sucker for the long term. Do you all have any major quality control complaints? Cosmetics? Suspension? I am not counting the mill and drivetrain as I have a hard time complaining about a rear wheel drive V8 anything. I would just like to hear if you all had any special points to make about known QC issues, irritations, dealer service, etc.

TIA
Old 02-09-2004, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about GM, but I work for Ford and every vehicle that comes off the assy. line has about 20 problems with it. I would assume that any mass produced vehicle will have similar results, no matter the manufacturer. But as for your problems, I would take it back to the dealer for those repairs mentioned and they should fix them with out hassle.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

The intermediate shaft, prolly what you were feeling pop in turns, does have a tech bulletin out, and is known as a common problem. They must have fired the guy that greases that on the assembly line and not found a replacement yet or something.

Other than that, I think that's all that has been wrong with my truck. My 02 on the other hand was in the shop a good bit. The T-case had to be rebuilt at about 20k miles, rack and pinion replaced, power steering pump replaced, and it still did the problem for all that being replaced. When manuevering in the parking lot, it would feel like the power steering would quit working and be really stiff to turn. It only did it when sitting still and would do it if the engine was at idle or revved a little. If it was just ever so slightly rolling, it wouldn't do it.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bought my truck 2 years ago this week and have put 48,000 miles on it since then. Other than for fluid changes, it has not seen a service bay for anything. Of the 3 vehicles that my wife and I have bought new, this is the only vehicle that can claim such a feat.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Let's hope that's all you find!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have heard that you shouldn't buy a vehicle that was assembled on a Monday or Friday. Just as an interesteing thing you should check to see when yours was assembled. The dealer should be able to give you that information.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

my steering has developed a "clunk" or rattle or something in the last 200 miles. really annoying! its going back to the dealer.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

1400 miles on the truck my rear end went out on me. It was a loud BANG and very bad vibrations. They said it was like a misaligned bearing or something like that. They fixed it so I really did not care. Then at 28000 miles it went out again and I got an Auburn diff. That is about it!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys. I am a perfectionist picky SOB with all my rides so I was not too thrilled to find this stuff. Just called dealer, really good people and willing to fix it, but it is not the dealer where I purchased the truck. Do you all think it makes a difference if I go back to original seller as opposed to another GMC dealership? I stated it was all factory flaws and not on specific dealer installed equipment.

The service manager immediately mentioned the intermidiate shaft as the popping noise but that tie rod boot is split and leaking so they'll have to go after that too.

Been a long time since I had to deal with warranty work and never right after delivery so I appreciate the info. This kind of had me nervous but as long as they fix it and I am not dealing with new minor problems all the time I am happy.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

I had the E-brake adjusted at 13,500 miles, it went all the way to the floor and would not hold on a hill. Other than that, nothing at all.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Revolution, if that's the slight knock or rattle that you feel in the wheel, then they intermediate steering shaft needs to be lubed.

My '02 Z71 Av had no issues, other than the above, in it's 42K miles with me.

My '00 S10 ZR2 was PLAGUED with issues later in it's life.

The new truck only has 7K on it... it's been great so far. *knock on wood*

Quick Reply: How many of you had to have repairs done right after purchase? GM QA complaints?