Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

how to bleed brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you activate the abs module via efi live or hp tuners??
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like he has a leak.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt bleed them, (no help) but i did add a bit of fluid, it was just a tad low... and did the abs thing. seemed to work untul today, the pads feel like they are sticking. and now when i hit the brakes, i have good pedal feel, but it sounds like metal on metal on the passenger rear grinds to a hault, sticky pads and same metallic noise in reverse. gonna yank the wheels off and have a look tomorrow. i dont know what im looking for
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like your caliper is sticking, which means either there's an obstruction in the line or your caliper itself is bad...when you replaced the pads you shouldn't have had any trouble pressing the pistons back with a c-clamp, for future reference that's a warning sign that you'll have brake sticking issues. brakes are very simple in their operation, the pressure from your foot pushes directly on a piston in the master cylinder which pressurizes the fluid in your brake lines and the pistons in your calipers extend in an attempt to keep the pressure even and the result is your brake pads squeezing your rotors. when you release the pedal the piston in the master cylinder retracts allowing the fluid to flow back through the system to static pressure. since it seems that you have one brake sticking the problem is either the passenger caliper or the bit of line between it and the t-union that splits the line running from your master cylinder to drivers side and passenger side. before spending money you should do some investigating. block the front tires, jack the rear up, put truck in neutral (and 2wd if you're 4x4) and spin the passenger rear, it should spin without very much effort. if possible have someone step on the brake while you're spinning the tire and observe how quickly it locks up and then more importantly how long it takes to release so you can again spin the tire. it should return to it's normal resistance pretty quickly. check both while you're at it to make sure the problem is indeed only with the passenger rear. if you're alone you'll have to just spin the tire go around, step on the brake and go see if it's still locked up, it's kind of a hassle but it is what it is. another thing, did you clean or replace the sliders that hold the pads when you did them? if they're dirty or rusty that won't help...also brake grease is your friend, not anti-seize in this application, put a dab on the sliders if you haven't. hope you figure it out..
Old 03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

fixin to go tear into it. thanks for advice
Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

both rear calipers are shot. burned through a set of pads in about a month. and i dont drive much. all of the material wasa gone from the pads.one pad ash on it... got them mso hot. im a fckin genius