Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Hard tonneau cover comparissons

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard tonneau cover comparissons

I'm in the market for a new tonneau cover for my 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic CC with the 5'8" bed. From looking around on here it looks like everyone agrees to either stick with ******* or Snugtop. I had a ******* X2000 on my 02 1500HD before and I think I bought it just a little while after they started making them but it had a couple bugs and I was wondering if they fixed those. One problem was that the paint on the cover from them had no clear coat (this was a black truck) and it oxidized after a couple months after doing a full polish and wax. The next problem was that it never really fit straight, I don't know if it was just our installation (we followed all of the instructions correctly) but it always hung over farther on one side than the other. Besides for those two things we loved it.

Now for the snugtop, I looked on their site but I can't seem to find any of the details really about their product. I'm interested in the Snuglid, but I won't to know if it has the carpeted underside, what type of lock setup is on it, what type of hinge setup, and is it easy to remove like the X2000.

For the Garylord TL series, how easy it to remove?

Basically I'm looking for something just like the X2000, but with the problems I listed above fixed. I might just order the cover unpainted and have my buddy paint them and my mirrors at the same time, but it'd be easier if I could just order it painted to start with. I want to make sure what I'm buying is what I really want especially with how expensive they are.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 PM
Launching!

I have a ******** tonneau cover and love it. Where I bought mine, they painted it there. Also, I think you had installed it wrong, cuz mine is installed straight and a friend of mine has the same one but his is a little off.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graysilverado5.3
I have a ******** tonneau cover and love it. Where I bought mine, they painted it there. Also, I think you had installed it wrong, cuz mine is installed straight and a friend of mine has the same one but his is a little off.
Well I think something was wrong with ours from the factory, like something was made completely square. When we first recieved the cover it came with a lift bracket that was bent way out and so we had to have them send another whole new lift assembly kit. After we got it on it was way off center, so we adjusted it for a little while and finally got it kind of close, but it still didn't sit centered.

Which cover do you have? The X2000, TL, etc?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

I wanted the Snug-top too, but since I elected to still wanting to tote things around, and the ease of removing the top, I went with the soft tonneau.

Lisa
Old 07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an x2000 on mine and I do not have the problems you mentioned. It is clear coated and it sits straight on the bed, even side to side. If I am not mistaken, the snuglid is carpeted as well, but I don't remember what type of hinges it has.