GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Even Magazine guys have bad days

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
That's one option.

I could have drove to any one of a number of good shops, had them throw the truck on a lift, and been done in less than half the time.
The photos would be better, I would never have got my hands dirty, and I would leave with the impression that a valve body and corvette servo install on a 4x4 is a piece of cake. And there is a very good chance that the job would have been done perfectly because the shop knows its reputation is on the line because its work will appear in a magazine.

While my approach is not always practical, I prefer to work with a vendor then do the install myself, learn from the experience and mistakes, and report exactly what I find to the reader.
A good article is getting your hands dirty. Anyone can have a shop do the work and snap off a few pics then pound out a few words to caption the pics. There is just something more/better about writing what you know or writing what you saw someone else do.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, this is what I need. Plan on doing my Transgo Kit next weekend. Already did the corvette servos. The final snap ring was non eventful. The Pita for me was the snap ring on the accumulator. A large C-clamp finally took care of that.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wedged my breaker bar between the body and trans in order to hold the cover pushed in while I installed the snap ring. Still was a pain in my ***.

Always check to make sure that ring is seated properly. I usually push it in and out a few times to make sure the ring doesn't pop out. My first test, the ring popped out - glad I checked it! I got it right the second time.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
That's one option.

I could have drove to any one of a number of good shops, had them throw the truck on a lift, and been done in less than half the time.
The photos would be better, I would never have got my hands dirty, and I would leave with the impression that a valve body and corvette servo install on a 4x4 is a piece of cake. And there is a very good chance that the job would have been done perfectly because the shop knows its reputation is on the line because its work will appear in a magazine.

While my approach is not always practical, I prefer to work with a vendor then do the install myself, learn from the experience and mistakes, and report exactly what I find to the reader.
Im with you on this one. There is nothing more annoying than reading through an article which professes the simplicity of the work being done, only to leave out the 20+ incremental steps which were necessary to complete the job.

Of course, its just a magazine, so time and space are limited.

Have you changed any of the transmission tuning parameters with HPT yet?