Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

emergency brake defect

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 12:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emergency brake defect

lately i've been hearing a scraping sound coming from my back wheels, the sound of brakes gone bare and grinding. i go to take a look at the rear brakes, driver side looks good...passenger side not so good. the brake shoe is totally gone and has been grinding the inside of the rotor like i've been diving with the e-brake on since i drove it off the lot. anyone had this problem before or heard similar problems. i hate to fix the problem and have it come back again so i was thinking of taking it in for a visit with mr. goodwrench.

anyone with some takes on this?
Old 08-17-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: emergency brake defect

I had the same prob with the e-brake when I bought my 02 with 16k miles on it. I knew it was the e-brake but still took to the dealer since it was still under warranty. They were able to fix and is noise free now. I take its common problem because my friend's 01 did the same.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

just fixed mine this weekend. 341 dollars got 53,ooo miles on the truck so no warranty. the e brake is the culprit here. you probably have ruined one of the disk rotors. the e-brake you cant see unless you take the rotor off and look at the inside. my driver side was completely shot. had to resurface the passenger side because the regular brakes pad had worn down the one on the inside like yours.
100$ for rotor
100$ for e brake kit
60$ for new pads on the rear
50$ in labor
had some misc charges for shop material,
and the rest was taxes.i usely do this stuff myself but ididnt know what all had to be done to do it right just figured i spend the money and get it completely fixed, good luck, by the way it is your e-brake dragging on the inside of the rotor. the longer you wait the worse its going to get.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:01 PM
14 Second Truck Club

yeah it's scraping the inside of the rotor and it shows by the erroding, besides i can hear it touching when i'm driving sometimes. i'm gonna go ahead and take it in to the dealer in the morning. i've got the 100k warranty so i'm hoping that would cover the wearing of the rotor.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

went to the dealer today and they told be sorry, too many miles on the truck to be covered by warranty. they did however tell me what the problem was. the clip that was used for the drums were not big enough. so to fix the problem gm now uses slightly larger clips. so the problem now is, why wasn't anyone notified? i've used my e-brake a total of two times and now have a series of problems directly caused by a clip...yeah this sux! i did however get $20 off some new brakes
Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, only $20? Especially bad if they knew there was a previous fault in the system due to design, not abuse.
Anywho, I had similar problems with mine. No e-brake at all, went to the floor. I pulled the rotors and adjusted but still had to tighten the cable slack by a lot. Later found out that the cables were for a crew cab HD, not an extended cab.
I would still use the e-brake every time you leave the truck. Using the brake often keeps it in proper adjustment and actually increases the life of the system.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes this is a common prob. the whole e-brake assembly(pads) shifts to one side because the clips dont hold that good. then there will be good pad on one side of the break and gone on the other. i agree with ktmrider because applieing it alowes it to center re align it self.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get the new clips? I can hear my driver's side dragging and when I parked on a slope today and pushed in the ebrake, I took my foot off the regular brake and I could feel it roll until the transmission stopped it. I don't like having that strain on my transmission when it is in park. How can I fix it?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

When I bought a new ebrake pad it came with a new clip. You'll need 2 pads and clips.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Can you share some pn? I went to the dealer yesterday and he had no idea about the clips. I need to fix mine before my tranny locks up on the boat ramp.

Quick Reply: emergency brake defect