Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Easy ABS Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
To me, it seems the work to benefit ratio of that mod would be 100% to 0%.
Yea, I guess it does seem that way. I am going to do it for a few reasons though. I am converting a 2wd to 4wd and will be running the exhaust on the driver's side which will run close to the ABS module on the frame rail. I will already need to move both the driver side and passenger side hard line/rubber line mount closer to the firewall to be able to go down the shock to the solid front axle. The fewer the joints, the fewer the leak possibilities and when I'm out in the boonies offroading, the fewer things that can go wrong the better. Not to mention a cleaner look with fewer lines running along the frame. :-)

I guess I shouldn't have asked the question since I already seem to have convinced myself. LOL.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

You should have asked the question, but with the additional information in the above post. It almost seems like you were trying to trick someone into giving the answer that I gave.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 AM

Sorry, wasn’t my intention.

just wondered if anyone had done it and if they ran into any issues.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did it that way when I did mine. Came off the master into a line lock and out to a t for the front brakes. For the rear came out of the master to an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve straight to the rear brakes. Replaced all rubber hoses with stainless and done. Zero issues. That plus the hydroboost swap, bigger 05+ fronts, four piston suv rears and the truck stopped mint. Huge improvement with zero issues.
The following users liked this post:
The LabTech (09-14-2023)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I planned something similar minus the line lock and proportioning valve. I’ve read that it shouldn’t be necessary. But if I see that the rear locks up before the front I may have to lean in that direction as well. Which one are you running?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Solohopper
Thanks for the info. I planned something similar minus the line lock and proportioning valve. I’ve read that it shouldn’t be necessary. But if I see that the rear locks up before the front I may have to lean in that direction as well. Which one are you running?
I just went summit brand on both. Worked great for me. I did definitely decrease some of the rear pressure. But, I also did a hydroboost swap at the same time so that may have come into play as well
Old 05-17-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bottledbird68
....... four piston suv rears.
Can I find something like that off of say a suburban in a boneyard...........
Old 05-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Can I find something like that off of say a suburban in a boneyard...........
Yessir. I just got them off eBay cause I didn’t want to deal with used stuff. Need the calipers/brackets and I’m not positive if the rotors are the same or not. I just ordered new ones for the suv to make it all new when I did it.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed this delete on my 2003 2500HD along with all now lines, calipers, and hoses - now, for some reason I can't figure out, the system will not bleed. Also replaced the MC (yes, I bench bleed it before installing). Been through several containers of fluid - anyone have any ideas? What am I missing? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Won't bleed as in air keeps coming out of the bleeders, or what? I kept my ABS when I replaced my brake lines, I pumped the fluid in through the bleeders. It never needed additional bleeding.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-21-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Easy ABS Delete