Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

A/C Compressor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor Problem

I drove my truck to work in the morning with the A/C just as cold as its always been.
I got into my truck at the end of the day and my A/C compressor decided never to come back on.

I suspected low refrigerant pressure so I jumped the two terminals of the low pressure switch with a paperclip, but the compressor still didn't come on.
I checked every fuse associated with the HVAC system under both fuse panels and they checked out OK.
I never noticed any unusual noises coming for the A/C system.
Belt is good too....

Does anyone have a new attack plan or tips I can use?
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check to see if your getting voltage to the clutch. If you are the clutch is burnt out. Replaced quite a few of those.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

I will definitely check that out tomorrow. Will I need a puller to get the clutch off?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a few specialty tools that will make the job easier. You can rent them from Advance or Autozone. Easiest way I have found to get to the wiring and compressor is take the wheel off and remove inner fender liner. Everything is right there in front of you then. If the clutch is bad remove the 4 bolts holding it to the engine and you can twist it around enough to reach the clutch for removal. That way you do not have to discharge the system. For the diy kind of guy this is your best bet as it is "unlawful" to discharge to the atmosphere. I'm lucky that I have equipment at home and work to evac the system and put the proper weighted charge back in.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

not to hijack the thread but could this grinding sound with occasional sparks coming from my compressor mean a bad clutch. my first thought is a bearing and ive been told a bearing. It just started today. im a newb when it comes to AC components and fixes so any info is helpful at this point in time
Old 08-22-2009, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

btw this is on a 99 Z71 5.3 not the Transam in the signature
Old 08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gccasper04
not to hijack the thread but could this grinding sound with occasional sparks coming from my compressor mean a bad clutch. my first thought is a bearing and ive been told a bearing. It just started today. im a newb when it comes to AC components and fixes so any info is helpful at this point in time
Sparks not good. Yes there is a bearing in the clutch. You can either replace the clutch or the whole unit. Depends on how many miles the truck has as to just clutch replacement or a new (or rebuilt) unit. Either way you have some costs ahead for you.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

So I'm still not quite sure what happened with my truck.

I checked voltage and the PCM was not commanding the clutch to engage.

The low pressure hose actually contacted the exhaust housing of the turbo. My temporary spacer came off and it also burned through the protective heat tape. So there was a hole.

I replaced the hose and recharged the system and the compressor would only come on for a second at a time. The high side pressure built really high when the compressor kicked on so I figured the high pressure switch was shutting it off.

I took the orifice out and it was clogged. There were little bits of metal on it. I assume these are from the compressor. Not good. I put a new orifice in for the time being, but I suspect its only a matter of time before the compressor finishes eating itself. So at least I have THAT to look forward to....
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coban
So I'm still not quite sure what happened with my truck.

I checked voltage and the PCM was not commanding the clutch to engage.

The low pressure hose actually contacted the exhaust housing of the turbo. My temporary spacer came off and it also burned through the protective heat tape. So there was a hole.

I replaced the hose and recharged the system and the compressor would only come on for a second at a time. The high side pressure built really high when the compressor kicked on so I figured the high pressure switch was shutting it off.

I took the orifice out and it was clogged. There were little bits of metal on it. I assume these are from the compressor. Not good. I put a new orifice in for the time being, but I suspect its only a matter of time before the compressor finishes eating itself. So at least I have THAT to look forward to....
Yep, sounds like you have some work ahead of you.