Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Blower motor resistor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower motor resistor issue

The other day my AC fans stopped working in my 2003 Sierra, and I could smell something burning for about 30 seconds right after it happened. I replaced the resistor under the dash today, changed the fuse that had blown, and immediately upon turning on the AC the fuse popped again. None of the terminals on the harness look burned or melted at all. Any ideas where I should look next?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fan motor or something stopping it from spinning and since you smelled burning all the wiring to the motors.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
The other day my AC fans stopped working in my 2003 Sierra, and I could smell something burning for about 30 seconds right after it happened. I replaced the resistor under the dash today, changed the fuse that had blown, and immediately upon turning on the AC the fuse popped again. None of the terminals on the harness look burned or melted at all. Any ideas where I should look next?
Since I have to check the resister on my blower, to you happen to have pic of where it is at? if you do that would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a pic of the resistor..

And its location, this is with the cover removed. The pic is terrible because of the flash, but you can tell what it is...this is under the passenger dash. Just look for the biggest group of wires.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

awsome, thanks alot, I was told that this could be the reason only 2 of my fan speeds work? if it is, will the resistor (the part horizontal across the top?) be burnt?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Hey bro, you need to replace the Resistor's wiring harness too. We got a GM Tech Bulletin on that. The resistor causes a overheat condition and the stock harness is not the proper AWG, and it causes the wires to melt.

Go purchase this part number # 15862656. The bad part is, it's a GM only part number and they retail at $95.00.

I have 7 of them in stock, so if you can't reach satisfaction with your local dealer.....contact me. I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Hey bro, you need to replace the Resistor's wiring harness too. We got a GM Tech Bulletin on that. The resistor causes a overheat condition and the stock harness is not the proper AWG, and it causes the wires to melt.

Go purchase this part number # 15862656. The bad part is, it's a GM only part number and they retail at $95.00.

I have 7 of them in stock, so if you can't reach satisfaction with your local dealer.....contact me. I'll see what I can do.
ok thanks man, Ill contact you if they give me a crappy price
Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, looking at my harness in the pic, doesn't it appear that it's already been replaced? It has crimps on each wire near the plug. I know when I bought the truck and the dealer brought it in for a final inspection before they sold it, they wrote that they had replaced the harness and the resistor.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

+1 CHANGE THEM ALOT... THE RESISTOR AND HARNESS MOST LIKELY SHOULD GET YOU GOIN
Old 01-08-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I decided to troubleshoot things to see exactly where my issue was. When I had everything hooked up, the fuse blew as soon as I turned to position 1. When I disconnected the blower and just left the resistor by itself, the fuse blew when I hit position 4. I disconnected the resistor and left just the harness, and it again blew at position 4. So I'm assuming it's my harness, correct?

Quick Reply: Blower motor resistor issue