Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bent Frame...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Anybody have experience with bent frames? i'm convinced it'll just open doors for more problems down the road, and think I should trade her in, after 3 months and it's second accident. What do you guys think?
Wayland, I have worked in the past as a body man and have experince in this area. I am a fabricator now But I am also currently rebuilding my Fathers old 99 K2500 Suburban. It was t boned in the front fender area and the Mechanical damage was so extensive they totaled it. The value was 16k at the time of wreck and they stopped the estimate at 18k. In this case there is no body structure damage. The frame was so badley bent that It had to replaced. Now problem for me I found a good used frame and enough used parts for cheap And bought it back from the insurance company and am Putting it back together as we speek.

I have fixed the type of damage you are describing and as long as you took it to a competent shop It should be just fine. I have personally seen brand new trucks as far as 6 mills out in one direction from square. + or - 3 mills from square on a unitized car is generally industry standard. How ever I personally would not like to see a truck frame more then 5 mills out a only becuase trucks have more of a fudge factor. Dont get me wrong you want it as close to square as possible but it is not always possible to it perfectly square and have everything fit corectly. For example My brand new 2000 Chevy S10 was 15 mills out of spec in the back from the factory. But Everything fit just fine and if you tried to pull it back to spec nothing would have lined up. The main things are that they try to repair the frame with out using heat as much as they possible can and remove any kinks buckless or slight deformations that may appear on the frame rails. If it took a shot in the trailer hitch, they should have replaced the hitch and used the NEW hardware that comes with it. A bent hitch should NEVER be repaired... Hope its fixed to your likeing.