Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone have issues with Thunder Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I placed an order with Gene @ Thunder Racing late November, early December. My credit card was charged for the full amount on 12/2/11. Gene told me that I should receive my custom grind cam 'in about 2 weeks'. After 3 weeks, I called to check on the status. Gene informed me that Comp was behind. I called the following week after still not receiving any word on the status of the cam. Thunder Racing answering service / voicemail said they were off the week between Christmas - new years and would be open 1/2/12 @9:30.

I start calling again on 1/2/12 only to get the same answering service until 11 am. I send an email to the all three addresses on the 'contact us' page concerning the phones (which lacked the directory option) and requesting an update on my order. I also dropped a note on their facebook page about the phone.

No call and no email later that day, I try again and the answering service had been discontinued and the normal menu was available. I attempted to contact Gene again, and got his voicemail. Wanting to speak to anyone, I redialed and received John in Sales. John looks into the order and can't find it in the shipping que. He says he's contacting Angie and that he'd be in touch.

I get off the phone with John and contact Comp to see if they can provide any insight, but as suspected, they can't give me any info on a cam that someone else (Thunder) ordered even though I'VE paid for it. The only info I get from them is that their shipping department was off the same week between Christmas - New Years and that nothing shipped during that time.

I get off the phone with Comp and send Angie an email explaining that I ordered a cam the first of December and I still don't have it the first of January. I'm not looking for explanations, I just want a realistic status and anticipated ship date. Today, I called and dialed Angie's extension - voicemail. Still no returned call. Still no email.

I really only want my order. here. now. This has been a terrible experience although I WILL say that both John and Gene have been extremely courteous over the phone. I think that I have been EXTREMELY patient and given Thunder every opportunity to address this issue before posting here. My patience and understanding are running thin.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do realize than 2 weeks for a custom ground Comp Cam was very optimistic? I purchased during their "quiet" season and it still took nearly 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
You do realize than 2 weeks for a custom ground Comp Cam was very optimistic? I purchased during their "quiet" season and it still took nearly 3-4 weeks.
I don't care if a month is optimistic. I was told 2 weeks. If it takes a month, tell me a month, then I won't be wondering where the hell my parts are.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents here, but I ordered a custom spec'd Comp cam from Geoff, took comp a week and I had it in my hand at his shop. This was only 2 months ago....

Im not bashing any shop here, because I buy parts from both places. I just hate to see anyone have problems....

Last edited by carbongmc; 01-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Tomorrow will conclude 6 weeks. Still no update. Still no returned call or e-mail. Still no cam.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Update! Sort of.

I have not been able to get anyone over there to answer the phone before lunch. I finally got John on the phone even though I asked for Angie Thursday evening around 6 central. Gave John the run down. Asked him to tell the 'Boss Lady' if I didn't receive my parts or an acceptable ETA that I was calling my credit card to report the charge as failure to provide merchandise, and that I wanted to speak to her directly.

Angie gets on the phone and tells me that she has had computer problems all day and didn't receive my email. I say that's fine, what about the others I sent last week? She's been busy she says. After a lot of noise, she's writing down my name and number. She says that she will check into my issue first thing Friday and give me a call around noon with an update.

True to form, 5:30 rolls around with still no call. I initiate the communication once again and she tells me that the next batch of cams from Comp is due the following Friday (1/20/12), but she verified that mine was not in that batch. Where is it? It will be in the next batch (1/27/12).... probably. Maybe. 'I won't be able to tell until I get the manifest for the next order'. I ask what is involved with getting the manifest, and evidently the manifest is generated when Comp gets an order ready to ship. I ask if there is anyway to contact comp to check on the status of an order before they are ready to ship, and she tells me no. 'Well, it sounds like to me that you never ordered my cam, you've just now put in an order, and now you're wanting me to wait yet again.' She says that by this coming Wednesday (1/18/12), she will be able to verify that it is in the next batch of incoming cams which will be.... 2 weeks. Hmmm That sounds familiar.

She then tries to pacify me by offering to select a shelf grind cam that will closely resemble the custom so I won't have to wait. I kindly refuse since I was promised a cam tailored to my needs, and I haven't waited 6 weeks to get a shelf cam that MAY come close to satisfying me; however, this brings up an interesting tangent... I realize then that they may very well slap a shelf cam in a box, call it my custom, and wash their hands of the situation, so I have demanded a spec sheet. She agreed to the cam Dr. but then started saying something that I wasn't paying attention to when I cut her off to reiterate that I would be expecting SOME sort of communication FROM her Wednesday.

We'll see Wednesday (after I call THEM I'm sure) whether I'll get a cam or not.

**** me, this is the biggest pain in the ***. Through all of this, not once have I asked for, demanded, or even hinted that I wanted anything for free. The only thing I have asked for is for them to make this right. We'll see.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Angie called and left a message around 6pm last Wednesday. She said she anticipated having my cam this week (1/27). I just got off the phone and she expects it Tuesday, 1/31.

Paradoxical Universe where 2 weeks = 2 months?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ask for a refund, go else where.. I have had good exp with them, but have often heard these kinds of stories. Sounds to me they are just trying to baffle you with bullshit.. You could have called comp direct and had a cam done..
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the insight fellas and allowing us to learn from this. It seems customer service is a thing of the past. I was gonna be ordering a custom grind cam and springs from them but, saw this post. If I have an issue like this with any company, I won't let the person off the phone until I get an update. If they have to call the other company for an update, I tell them to do it through conference call so, I know what is going on.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad u are finally making progress on getting ur cam but i wouldnt order nothing else from them. i ordered a billet catch can from them a bout a month ago and this thread reminded me that i probably need to start tracking them down bc i havent recieved it yet. good luck to u

Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with Thunder Racing?