Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC quit workin, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
yep yep, gauges are point less unless you have a spec sheet from G.M showing what the pressures SHOULD be at the ambient temp, (pressures will change with temp) the only other way to tell if the system is low is to recover the refrigerant. Pull a vacuum and boil the moister out. It must pull at least 20" or closer to 30". You can also use nitrogen to check for leaks, but you would have to recover the system and fill it. Then check for leaks. I haven’t had much luck with "sniffer" I like the dye as it has always worked for me. But the easiest way to look for a leak is to look for an accumulation of dust around all fittings, sensors and compressor seals. The a/c system switches are a common point of frailer, but the fact that you can command you a/c clutch and still have hot air would leave me to believe that your system is low. DO NOT run a compressor with low refrigerant. All the oil will be pumped out and the compressor will lock up.
Thanks a bunch guys. I think either I leaked out the freon when or installing my headers or it is just a coincidence that my freon is now low. Now that I think about it hasnt blown real cold for a while. I am going to call a few places in the morning and see if they can get me in before I head down to the coast.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Took the truck to an ac shop last Friday. They said they did an evac and refill then added dye. Couldnt find any leaks and ac was blowing cold. I go to pick it up on Sat. ( they are closed) and the damn ac dont work. Sooo I call up Monday and drop it off that evening. He checked it over real good and he says the evaporator is leaking

Remember this thread ---->Dewmanshu"s ac gremlins <----

Yeah, that may be me in a couple of weeks. Also just to give you a rundown of what this could cost.

Evac a refill w/dye- $145 ( shouldnt they have done a leak test first)
Evaporator- $370
Labor- $450

I dont have to pay the $145 again no matter if I replace the evaporator or they do. But, if I do it, I have to be back for the refill by 30 days.

What would you guys do in this situation?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the evaporator is leaking id have it fixed, or if you are up to it fix it yourself.

i cant say what id do because i have a vacuum pump, a/c manifold gauges and fittings to put the freon and dye in so id do the putting freon in but finding/fixing leaks is what i hate, especially small ones. i wouldnt even think about replacing the evaporator.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welllllllllll.............

I am shoulder deep into trying to replace my evaporator. This absolutely sucks. I spent the better part of the day taking my front seats, console and dash apart. Its stripped down to the frame work of the dash. Looking at were the evaporator should be in the ......"big black box"........ sorry dont know what it is called, it looks like I either unbolt the bottom of the box to access the evaporator. Or I must be able to take the box out or something.

If anyone has done this or seen it done before please post up. I could use the help. I will post some pictures in the morning of what I am looking at (forgot camera in garage).

I'd also like to thank TorqueWrench for getting me prices and part numbers for what I needed. Although....... if he hadn't pointed me in the right direction, I wouldn't be in this mess right now. Damn you TorqueWrench!!!!!

JK its all good
Old 08-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...3&page=1&pp=40

Just shoot yourself in the hand that you'd use to do all the work now. Torque_Wrench will go out his way for you!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...3&page=1&pp=40

Just shoot yourself in the hand that you'd use to do all the work now. Torque_Wrench will go out his way for you!
Yeah, I linked that page a couple of posts up. I have been using those pics as my guide . Anyone know how to get the evap out?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got it out. The evaporator does have a split in it. I can see why the guy wanted so much for labor.

Here is a pic. Hopefully it will be all back together by mid week.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also I was wondering if you can replace the cabin airfilters after everything is all back together? They are really dirty and I cant get new ones till Tuesday. It looks like you can replace them through a small access door from the bottom.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh ****, i didn't even see that you linked it earlier. I WISH I found a leak like that on mine. It would of be killer. Congrats on finding the leak.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 AM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by COLDZ71

Also I was wondering if you can replace the cabin airfilters after everything is all back together? They are really dirty and I cant get new ones till Tuesday. It looks like you can replace them through a small access door from the bottom.
yes with everything back together, replacing cabin air filters is a 10min. max job, depending on how har dit is to get to the screws holding on the heater box cover. if you dont have a heater box cover, its a 1.5-2 min. job, very easy
Old 08-19-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
oh ****, i didn't even see that you linked it earlier. I WISH I found a leak like that on mine. It would of be killer. Congrats on finding the leak.
I would have went ape **** if I didnt find a leak in it.

Quick Reply: AC quit workin, need help.