Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ABS light coming on and off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light coming on and off

For about a month now my ABS "light" and parking brake light have been coming on randomly, everything seems fine, I've just not had the chance to check the truck any ideas on what it could be?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 PM
The House is Rockin'

usually that happens with a ring & pinion swap....

mines doing it right now also because it needs to be tuned for the new gears
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scan the truck and see if any codes were thrown......could be a bad ABS pump or a bad transmission speed sensor.....
Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Launching!

No new ring and pinion, I'll scan the truck and check the sensors. Anyone else????????
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Teching In

you might have a bad abs module with a code c0265 which is internal relay or check you gorund if no codes it;s below driver seat, next to the body mount
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Are you experiancing any parake pedal pulsation at all? The is a TSB on the Corrosion of the ABS sensors on those trucks, but it usually accompanied by a bit of pedal pulsation, kinda like a warped rotor.

Otherwise, the ABS light randomly coming on and off makes me think you have a defective ABS Wheel Speed Sensor that's going bad. They are notorious for failure. They are right on your front hub assemblies. If the ABS light came on and stayed, I'd lean towards the ABS module or pump being defective, but if it's going off then it's not the ABS module unless you have a bad connection on the harness connector going to it. The randomness of the lamp is most likely contributed to an ABS sensor. Easy to replace, but not the cheapest things in the world. Contact me with your VIN and I'll run a GMVIS on it and see if you have an Open TSB or I can get you the aprt numbers to the ABS sensors.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Teching In

my trucks been doing the same thing i thought it was just a short, but now that you mention it torque wrench i do have pulsating in the pedal like a warped rotor...would anyone happen to know why my security light will just pop up in the message center while im driving and stay on.? happens every now and then
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

mine does it. its either the wheel speed sensors or a bad abs module. when those lights are both lit you do not have ABS. you can lock them up if you want to test it out.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Skyscraper38
my trucks been doing the same thing i thought it was just a short, but now that you mention it torque wrench i do have pulsating in the pedal like a warped rotor...would anyone happen to know why my security light will just pop up in the message center while im driving and stay on.? happens every now and then
Security lamp can mean you have a Ignition Lock Case going bad. It houses the Pass-Lock Sensor, which is the main brain of the security system.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Launching!

I have no pedal pulsation the ABS and PB lights will just come on and it's starting to be more frequently, I scanned it and no codes where thrown. Is there a way to check the ABS module or speed sensors?

Quick Reply: ABS light coming on and off