Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has that sound, has had it since it was pretty new. 130k and running strong now. From what I hear from my guys at the shop its not uncommon at all. But not sure about 2011s
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RacinRust
Dealer told me today this is not an abnormal noise.
Maybe its normal then..... Not everything is a conspiracy. You have a 100,000 mile power train warranty. If it blows a connecting rod out of the side of the block while you are towing, then you should worry.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the club.
I'm not convinced mine is piston slap.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=479562
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common sense would assume a compression test, a cylinder leak-down check, pull valve covers & check rocker arms, oil pressure check etc.
Service manager told me they would not do this because GM would not pay for it!
The engine would have to be in a more critical state or a rod or crank hanging out before GM would pay for any kind of diagnostics.
I knew I should have just freshened up the old 69 Cheyenne. But hell no I got new truck fever.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wonder if this could be a failing DOD lifter or control solinoid? How much oil pressure does everyone else have at idle?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine has no dod
Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am taking mine back once a week till I get some resolve on this. This noise is caused by excessive clearance some where. I understand where the dealership is coming from. I go through the same headache where I work. I work for a large equipment dealership. The factory wants to see a total failure before they do anything. They are trying to let the warranty expire so they have to nothing. I get this quote all the time from engineering support, "reservice with proper fluid levels and return to service, there is plenty of time left on warranty".
Once I get the proper paper trail started then will have a valid complaint for GM customer service. If no resolve there litigation will be the next step.
I have tried to trade the vehicle at the same dealership where I purchased it. Used car manager told me the noise in the engine would keep him from even making a trade in offer for it! This thing has 3000 miles on it.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM went to a coated piston (piston skirt only) in 2004, my 03 Burb had horrible piston slap in cold weather. After it was tuned by BlackBear it has never happened again. My 04 Avalanche never had the problem. I am thinking your 2011 may have a lifter issue causing the noise, you should try a different dealer or GM customer service.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RacinRust
I am taking mine back once a week till I get some resolve on this. ...the factory... They are trying to let the warranty expire so they have to do nothing. I get this quote all the time from engineering support, "reservice with proper fluid levels and return to service, there is plenty of time left on warranty".
Once I get the proper paper trail started then will have a valid complaint for GM customer service. If no resolve there litigation will be the next step.
I have tried to trade the vehicle at the same dealership where I purchased it. Used car manager told me the noise in the engine would keep him from even making a trade in offer for it! This thing has 3000 miles on it.
DO what it takes. I hope it works out for ya.

So what are ya tryin to say the used car mgr. @ dealer is telling you?!?

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
GM went to a coated piston (piston skirt only) in 2004, ... I am thinking your 2011 may have a lifter issue causing the noise, you should try a different dealer or GM customer service.
OK, so it was in '04.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can take it back to dealer 100 times they still cant do anything for you if gm dont pay they will not touch it. you can try and catch the gm districk service manager to see it if you can find him. the only other thing is to drain the oil drive it till it blows them fill it up with oil and then call roadside and you get new engine. make sure you fil it with oil before you call tow truck. to the full mark. have you listended to any other trucks the exact same for the same noise?. good luck ive seen alot of customers in simmilar situations try the same thing and are unsucsefull.

Quick Reply: 2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k