Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2004 Silverado - Sloppy Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado - Sloppy Steering

I now have about 240,000 on my Silverado, and the steering has become pretty sloppy. I am wondering what I need to replace to correct this issue?

I am thinking I am going to replace:
The intermediate steering shaft (Fix annoying clunk)
Tie Rods (Inner)

Any other items? Pitman/idler arms? I a bit lost on this aspect of the truck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the Ball Joints first, then switch over to poly bushings and if still needs tweeking tie rod end links
Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that many miles,I would replace everything personally,including pitman arm, idler arm,ball joints and tierods.Also check to make sure the gear box doesn't have play.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Ok, I appreciate the feedback!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tiffo60
I would do the Ball Joints first, then switch over to poly bushings and if still needs tweeking tie rod end links
Hey, I see your from Fort Worth too - any recommendations on where to get a good in person tune around here?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by highamperage
Hey, I see your from Fort Worth too - any recommendations on where to get a good in person tune around here?
Black Bear will be back over here Oct 12th. Here's a link so you can send your deposit and get your time slot.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2012-a-506298/
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Saginaw boxes are notorious for developing play. A good gear shop should be able to adjust the preload and internals for you to eliminate the slop.

Unless it's really worn, you can usually use the preload adjuster to remove all the slop.

If you feel like taking a stab at it yourself, the preload is adjusted by loosening the big nut on the top of the gearbox, taking an Allen wrench and turning the bolt to adjust, tighten the nut back down and test drive. Rinse and repeat. Don't make big changes at one time.

Trending Topics

Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cammed00
Black Bear will be back over here Oct 12th. Here's a link so you can send your deposit and get your time slot.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2012-a-506298/
Great, thank you. I'll reserve a place.

I have a couple questions - sorry, I am new to this - I see they offer spare modules, what would that be for? Also, what is adjusted in the tune - things like TM curve etc? If so, I was thinking of having the TM reduced a bit (I'm putting in a new tranny now - finally gave out)

One thing I've noticed - if I remove my battery, it seems to reset the computer and the truck takes 10 or so miles to "relearn" the engine before it will run correctly again. Would this issue remove a tune?
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wheatley
With that many miles,I would replace everything personally,including pitman arm, idler arm,ball joints and tierods.Also check to make sure the gear box doesn't have play.
this^^^
Old 09-22-2012, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by highamperage
Great, thank you. I'll reserve a place.

I have a couple questions - sorry, I am new to this - I see they offer spare modules, what would that be for? Also, what is adjusted in the tune - things like TM curve etc? If so, I was thinking of having the TM reduced a bit (I'm putting in a new tranny now - finally gave out)

One thing I've noticed - if I remove my battery, it seems to reset the computer and the truck takes 10 or so miles to "relearn" the engine before it will run correctly again. Would this issue remove a tune?
No, it would not remove a tune. It's normal to have some learned adaptations cleared when disconnecting the battery.

Quick Reply: 2004 Silverado - Sloppy Steering