Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

06 4.8 RCSB Warning Lights Flash On/Off Gauges Bouncing Around

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 4.8 RCSB Warning Lights Flash On/Off Gauges Bouncing Around

I ran across a deal on a 06 4.8 truck for my younger cousin, I payed 2k for the truck which to me was a steal. The guy I bought it of off had it for 2.5 years and put over 40k miles on the truck. The truck don't make a noise and runs and drives great. But the abs, check engine, battery, and security light comes on in the dash. And when this happens all the gauges beside the tach and Speedo stop working, The radio also shuts off. But every once in awhile the lights go off and the gauges and radio start back working. Then it'll chime and they quit again. He put a new battery in it and had the cluster rebuilt but it didn't fix it. Wonder if it's a corroded ground, posts or the ignition going out? Soul like some if you guys opinions on this. The trucks really clean for the money.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I would clean the grounds first since that is free, then go from there.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife’s truck will freak out the dash if I try closing all four windows at once-... voltage drops really low- I know it’s a lot of amps being pulled
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking it's something simple, shoot the truck runs and drives to good to be something major. Anybody got a idea of how many grounds is on the truck?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 04silvyhotrod
The truck don't make a noise and runs and drives great. But the abs, check engine, battery, and security light comes on in the dash.
ABS light is easy and common on these. It likely a cracked solder joint within the module. you should pull the codes and see what you have.
Check engine light - You should pull the codes
Battery light could be a few things if its still on after battery replacement. Could indicate a charging issue. Codes might also tell you what's going on.
Security Light- This could be a voltage drop issue if there is lots of corrosion on the Ground circuits.This could also be a portion of the ignition switch Or an issue with the body control module. Codes will help locate the issue.

As far as the grounds go. There is a Ground near the front of the block on left side near the oil pan area. There is I believe 2 ground at the passenger side rear of the block. 1 at the driver side rear of head to cab.

There is 2 grounds under the cab front mount.

Biggest things is get all the codes out of it. Engine codes, Body codes ABS codes. This is the best way for us to offer help.

And absolutely DO NOT erase the codes until you have them all. You need more than a generic OBD2 reader for this task.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I just noticed something. I see some one has already added a redundant ground. I also noticed the frame rail appears to be rusty just below it.

Not sure what other work has been done but the sound pad is missing off the firewall. You maybe in for a real treat

Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I'll check them out this coming weekend, as for the frame it is dirty but the trucks solid. Definitely made sure and crawled all around it. The guy did say he bought the truck with the wiring harness messed up and he put another one it. But just over a month ago it started throwing the lights and stuff.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 04silvyhotrod
I'll check them out this coming weekend, as for the frame it is dirty but the trucks solid. Definitely made sure and crawled all around it. The guy did say he bought the truck with the wiring harness messed up and he put another one it. But just over a month ago it started throwing the lights and stuff.
Which harness? engine?
Can you tell me if it has a little box with a plug on the negative cable near the battery?
Old 03-04-2019, 11:58 PM
Teching In

I can check it tm and see if it does. Thanks for the suggestions I'll be sure to clean all the grounds this weekend. And he didn't say, just that he traded a hot rod for truck over 2 years ago with the harness messed up in it. He put another in it and drove it everyday since until he bought a new truck. My cousin has been driving it since we bought it and the man drove it 2hrs to meet me halfway when I bought it last week. Im hoping its something simple for his sake because he loves it.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Any chance this is someone’s bastardized v6 swap?

Run the VIN and see if it’s a true v8 truck.

Quick Reply: 06 4.8 RCSB Warning Lights Flash On/Off Gauges Bouncing Around