Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

03-06 cluster in a 99-02 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts

Pick n pull posts their prices, (Instrument cluster assy $31.99 (10% off and free entrance for vets)). I'm sure you can find em on ebay for $50 or less.

I see em rarely, but the Police clusters had 140mph speedos. Too bad they never made one with a manual.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh really? We'll call it $35 each with tax. And he's charging $700 and up? The 1st time I talked to him I'm pretty sure he told me $900. Even $700 is a 2000% markup 🤨

Either nobody has bought one from him yet, or someone has and is staying hush, or someone did but aren't even smart enough to pull the cluster, let alone open it and figure it out and let the secret out. Maybe we could get a group buy on one just to dissect it and share knowledge. Really just some pics of the modified board would probably do
Old 04-27-2022, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

I remember at one point, if you got all the upgrades it was close to a grand.

- Assuming no one wants to buy one and donate it for the group, my suggestion is for a group to go in on one. Everyone who would be interested goes in for probably about ~$50 - ~$150 each.
- Someone who has been around and/or has references gets the cluster, (sorry no offense, but I wouldn't pay for one, to go to someone who just joined this month, unless there was some other personal verification).
- They dissect it, and figure it out.
- When the process is known, those who contributed an equal share; send in a cluster and either pay a small reasonable fee for the work (or you all cover the share of the person doing the work), then have it converted, OR they get the directions on how to change it and do it themselves.
- All those that contribute can get theirs, and get to enjoy it, and then six months to a year later you post the details on here so everyone else can do it.

The fewer people that know how to do it, the less likely they will be selling on ebay for $300. If these are found by a new seller online or ebay, then the details on it get released to all at that point, (if the details are released then a few of you could sell em on ebay, just to undercut and make it reasonable. Just need to figure out the details (like who gets it, how much, and how long you keep the info), and agree first. Then sign and keep your digital blood oath (/post) or be cursed by a parade of hondas going past your bedroom window at 2:30 every morning.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

I had talked to PI Clusters but had to resort to my broken Spanish at some points, this was a long time ago. Fortunately I can understand better than I can speak so it was not such a big deal.
People buy this stuff, FreddyLSX on Youtube bought one for a giveaway truck and it seemed to work great. Unfortunately I bet nobody can pull it apart and see if it actually works.

ALSO for a 1999 truck this would be a nightmare I bet because then you would have to figure out how to trick the airbag light to go off like you do with the 01-02 Denali clusters. I did the work for that on mine but I can only imagine how difficult it is for 03-07 clusters...

@adriver To be fair everyone in this thread pretty much lives in Texas lol I really don't think I would care too much if the details get released straight out to the public. Hell I would make a whole thread on it and create a writeup on how to do it if I could.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Everyone who matters..

I would go with the group on that one, but if I actually did chip in, it wouldn't be much.. Might be different if we had one or more people who wanted to do it and sell it. If there was one person who was going to sell it, they might want a little time to get a few stockpiled or sold first. Just speculating on possible concerns that might arise.

I could only guess, I would be better off someone doing the work for me if I was to get one. No clue how in depth this is or if there is any special equipment needed.

I wouldn't want to pay for the group to get it, then the only way for me to get it done is to pay someone another, lets say $400, and they are just selling it to me like they would everyone else, after I'd be chipping in to get it for them in the first place. Maybe that's selfish, but honestly I'd feel like a jackass and be bitter at this place if that happened. If there was someone who did it, and if they charged me okay, but I would want a deal on it for helping. I can be honest, my budget is always tight, and if that was the option, then not only is there no benefit for me to contribute, but I would have reasons not to.
The following users liked this post:
shakenfake (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd need to see a GM thing on the circuit board to figure it out. I have no idea what it takes to move the traces. I think it is putting it in some solution and then you can lift them up and move them around, can't remember
Old 04-27-2022, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shakenfake
I'd need to see a GM thing on the circuit board to figure it out. I have no idea what it takes to move the traces. I think it is putting it in some solution and then you can lift them up and move them around, can't remember
Yeah... NO thanks on that kinda deal. I was gonna just cut the trace lines that aren't needed anymore with a razor knife or something and then solder on new small gauge jumper wires where they're needed for the new modified trace paths. I know I'm making it sound easier than it probably is, but from my understanding it's only 2 of the gauges that need this modification on the board to work properly (aside from rearranging the harness connector wires to match the 03 cluster pin outs (or make a custom plug n play adapter). Doesn't seem bad to me.

Honestly, if there was more overlay options for the 99-02 clusters then I might not even be thinking about swapping. Seems like we ended up on the short end for cluster mods
Old 04-27-2022, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

ah yeah that would probably work too lol

USSpeedo has options. For me I just prefer the backlighting options of the newer cluster as well as the DIC.

All this doesn't really matter too much to me anymore. I plan on doing an 04-06 interior swap so it's not so important.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Oh really? How did you come across an entire interior? Or do you have one yet? And "interior" meaning all the electrical components or do you mean dash, seats, ALL of it?
Old 04-27-2022, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I plan on buying a rusted out LT3 and swapping literally everything electric, engine harness, fuse box, PCM, BCM, inside harness, everything. I've wanted to do that for a long time now. Next year is my last year for emissions so I don't need to have the correct PCM VIN read-out after that.

I know, I could buy a new truck but this is the truck that I grew up in. I just want the newer interior lol

P.S. This job is going to be the biggest pain in the ***. I almost don't even want to do it because it will suck so bad. Once I get my Impala working 100% I may look at buying a truck. That swap would then begin phase 2.

Last edited by shakenfake; 04-28-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 03-06 cluster in a 99-02 Silverado