Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You, Me and PCV performance modifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default You, Me and PCV performance modifications

Mostly about PCV mods or maybe i have another issue. So I've swaped my LQ9 (stock rebuild with a mild cam and a new melding oil pump) in a couple weeks ago, been doing good, got some miles on it now, just under a 1000 miles, runs strong. However after we had to change the rear main seal with a good one, a couple days later the truck started smoking at startup and sometimes idle, SOMETIMES, not all the time. the cloud smells of oil and last oil change on sunday just showed only oil in the pan not any coolant. under hard acceleration it doesnt smoke, at least not that I can see. Mostly it smokes a start up for about 15 or so seconds if that. I did see some puffs coming out of the pipes one time at lunch one day but by the time I got out of work and started it up again, it smoked but wasnt puffing out at idle.

What are my options here, catch can on the driver side? Vent on the passenger side? if this is even my problem.

the thought had crossed my mind that the valve seals were leaking but it can sit for the time it takes to get gas and start up agian and smoke a bit. I thought i used some good quality valve seals but i also thought that about the head gaskets and was wrong.

I havent noticed any oil comsumption just because i have been changing the oil so often in the truck during break in.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

Try venting the crankcase to the atmosphere for awhile to see if the smoking stops, to point to the PCV as the culprit or eliminate it as the cause.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have seen if there is too much vacumn from the intake manifold to the crankcase, that can ruin the seals and cause oil consumption.