Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes, Yet Another Exhaust Thread. lol.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, Yet Another Exhaust Thread. lol.

I know, I know, but I'm changing yet again.

I am currently running ASM LongTubes with cats on the stock y-pipe split into true duals. 2.5" pipe back to 2 flowtech manual cutouts, a magnaflow x-pipe, then into dual dynomax 12" bullets dumped. I am currently running thru the muffs cause I was having too many issues running the cutouts open constantly, plus the loss of low end power thru open exhaust. The performance thru the bullets are impressive, but the sound is way too quiet, yes quiet. They are quieter than my girlfriends magnaflow single in/dual out large body muffler which used to be mine. lol. I had once a long time ago and single in/dual out 3" flowmaster 40 series and loved that sound, but the loss in low end was terrible.

I am considering flanging the exhaust pipes, cause right now, if I have to drop the tranny, I have to cut the drivers side of the y-pipe to remove it which sucks. And running dual 2.5" pipe back to dual Hooker Aerochambers 14" body. Considering not running them with an x-pipe, but I don't want to loose the low end so I'm still undecided on that. Basically I am wanting the loudest exhaust with the best performance, and when I say loudest, I really want the sound to be at idle, not necessarily at WOT or cruise, although if its loud then too, thats fine, I'm used to running open cutouts so thats not a problem. Just don't like the loss of low end with cutouts. Oh, and I am not going to cut or gut the cats.

Mufflers considering:
Hooker Aerochamber
1Chamber flows
1Chamber IMCO
Just not sure how the flows or imco in the 1 chamber compare to the 40's so I'm a bit leary on that end. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm open for suggestions.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Hooker aerochambers are WAY quieter than bullets... i had both on my previous 2500hd and you could barely hear the hookers, however i have two for sale if your interested .
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
14 Second Truck Club

i love my one chamber flows. they are loud and raspy!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

RST,

Man you've never heard my bullets. I always hear how loud the bullets are from everyone, thats the reason I got them. But I am very disappointed. They are half as loud as both the magnaflows I've had and not even in the same league as far as sound as the flowmaster I once had. I don't know whats up with it.

02, have you had anything other than the 1 chambers on that truck? If so, how does it perform compared to other mufflers?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
14 Second Truck Club

ive had 2 chamber flows and the performance is about the same but the 1 chamber is a lot louder.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Man maybe you have the wrong bullets, i have had many setups on my previous 6.0L HD

- First, I had a dual in dual out magnaflow(too quiet and mellow for me)
- Then, I had Flowmaster one chambers( Loud and raspy)
- Finally, I switched to the dynomax bullets, loud and aggressive

The magnaflow is by far the quietest setup i ran, maybe you have the wrong bullets, lol
Old 09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

Cool you are my polar opposite on the exhaust ***** scale I keep trying to go quieter without losing performance and you are going to the way loud end of the scale.

Free bump for the fellow "exhaust *****"
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

from the ones above I would go with the shortest case aerochambers?? have never heard one in person but hearing them here on videos they sound good!! my friend has some one chamber flows, they do sound good and loud but dont know about performance??? I liked how santiago's truck sounded, maybe yours would be a little bit louder if you put 2 of those that he has???

but if you really want it to be loud at idle take your cats off!!.. you should of said something at the GTG I would of let you here mine with the cutout open it sounds mean!!

Last edited by ap2002; 09-13-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with RSTSilverado; you might have the wrong bullets. Do you have the 4in. case or the 6in. case? Of course, if you just wanna go loud you could go old school with dual glasspacks. Crank the engine and run it for a while to get the mufflers hot, then stick a waterhose in them and rev on the engine to blow out the fiberglass packing. It'll be loud, but sounds pretty good IMO.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:25 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Talking

Yeah you are a little quiet there Curtis. My one Dynomax Ultraflow was louder than your bullets. I couldn't believe you had bullets until you told me so. In my experience get the smallest case in a muffler to be the loudest and vice versa for the quiestest. Here's mine before the cam...Dynomax UltraFlow...since then I've recently switched to Magnaflow to try to quiet things down, but don't have a sound clip yet...Zed

Quick Reply: Yes, Yet Another Exhaust Thread. lol.