Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

yank problem, please assist!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yank problem, please assist!!

OK, first my truck drives fine. Shifts fine and everything.

Then I get my Yank 3000 installed. I break it in for 150 miles.

I floor it for the first time tonight, and it accelerates on up at a very nice rate and when tach hits around 4000-4500 rpm, the tranny or Yank, slips, and rpms shoot to 6000 and rev limiter kicks in. I hold it down thinking that my shift point is just a little too high, but rev limiter just keeps engaged so I let off.

I then programed my truck with hpp3 three times, first lowered shift points. Second put back to stock. Third, raised rev limiter to 6200 and put 1-2 minus 6mph, and 2-3 minus 12 mph. Well I really thought THIS would make this sucker shift. But no!! The SAME thing happened!!! 1-2 hit shot up to rev limiter at about 4500 rpms, and 2-3 did the same thing. Then I got pissed and held the pedal down when it did this slipping in 2-3, and finally after the yank "hunted" back and forth for the shift, it gradually shifted to third gear. There was a lot of slippage to get to third gear.

Please Please Please tell me what could be wrong!!!!!!!!!

I checked my fluid and it is at the right level. There are some bubbles on the dip stick though, after all of this happened. I don't know if that means anything or not though.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: yank problem, please assist!!

I have the exact same problem with mine. I tried asking around and no one can give me an answer. If you find out anything, please let me know and I'll do the same. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use 93 octane all the time, why do you ask?
Old 05-04-2003, 01:36 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing to do is find out exactly what it is. Do you have ATAP?

If so you can check converter slippage and see if it's the tranny or converter slipping. Just look at whatever rpm the slippage starts and see if the converter slip rpm number jumps up at that point. Also check for any codes that may be set. That might help diagnose the problem.

One other thing. I know you said you checked your fluid but, are you absolutely positively 100% sure that it is OK. It's kinda hard to read sometimes.

If you try anything else and whatever it is starts slipping again don't keep hammering on it because it's just heating the fluid up and that isn't good for anything in the trans.

Good luck

John
Old 05-04-2003, 01:55 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did u try and put ur hypertech to 87 tuning? maybe ur timing is messed up
what in the world are you talking about?

i have to put my vote in for low fluid, i took mine around the block and felt some slipage too, it turned out to be low fluid, it is a pain to get a good reading. now i take my time checking it, add some,run it thru the gears let it sit idleing for 5 minutes and then check it. i use that time to clean the garage or something.

if it's not low fluid the next most likely thing would be that you lost 2nd gear, that was the first thing to go on my tranny when it went bad. i would bet on the fluid though.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Regular

I'm with Parish,low fluid.Mine did the same thing,it takes a little bit to fill up the convertor.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

After you did the converter swap you put in like 8 quarts of DEX III right? not engine oil or gear lube just kidding.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

thaks parish8, I will check my fluid. I forgot to tell ya'll that I also got my deep B&M pan installed at the same time as the convertor. They said it was a bitch to install the little filter extender but they said they got it on there.

When I got back home from picking up my truck, it was WAY too full. So I called the tranny place and they said give it time to go in the convertor good, and they asked me if I had bubbles on the dipstick or not and I told them no.

The next day it was still way too full so I drained like half a quart or so. then it seemed to be at the right level.I don't think the deeper pan affects the dipstick does it?

Maybe this can help ya'll hypothesize the problem better.

Quick Reply: yank problem, please assist!!