Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong spark plug gap possibly....

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong spark plug gap possibly....

I just put NGK tr55s in my truck, gapped to .055. I took the truck for a spin and I have some major power loss. It sounds like the engine is racing but i'm not goin anywhere, almost like a slipping clutch but the clutch isnt slipping. I didnt have this problem until I switched plugs. Should I take them out and gap them differently??

I also wanted to add that there is a random "put put" through the exhaust at idle.....bad wire maybe

Last edited by 04RST; 11-10-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory iridiums come pregapped to .040. I don't know why you'd widen the gap as high as you did. Is that what they're suggesting? Also, I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers with some folks when I state my next statement but trust me. I've never seen any aftermarket ignition products worth a damn on any motor I've ever built. Stick with factory original replacement parts and you'll be fine. Don't be a cheap ***, just get what you know is right. Keep all your sensors, and ignition components factory GM parts. There's no good reason to deviate from genuine factory ignition and engine contol components. Period.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i believe they decreased the spark gap in 03 or 04, if you want to run the bigger gap in your truck you need to adjust the spark dwell time... I bet your getting a bunch of random missfires which is causing your problems....
Old 11-10-2008, 08:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Factory iridiums come pregapped to .040. I don't know why you'd widen the gap as high as you did. Is that what they're suggesting? Also, I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers with some folks when I state my next statement but trust me. I've never seen any aftermarket ignition products worth a damn on any motor I've ever built. Stick with factory original replacement parts and you'll be fine. Don't be a cheap ***, just get what you know is right. Keep all your sensors, and ignition components factory GM parts. There's no good reason to deviate from genuine factory ignition and engine contol components. Period.
TR55's aren't iridium, they're copper and have a different gap. My factory gap for the original platinums is .060, if I upgrade to iridiums, .045. Most guys gap the TR55's to .055, as I believe that's NGK's recommended gap.

Your spark plug gap isn't your problem...maybe a cracked plug or loose spark plug wire?

BTW, NGK ignition products have been known to find their way into factory GM engines for years. I've heard more than once of guys removing their original plugs to find Delco down one side and NGK down the other.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed TR55's @ .055 no issues whatsoever.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hirdlej
ruffle ruffle lol running "colder heat range" plug CAN allow more timing and can reduce kr(knock retard)
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, so the .055 gap is ok? I'll check out the wires, they are the original jba wires that came on the rst models. The were a PITA to get off so it's possible i damaged one of them. I doubt i cracked a plug, i didnt drop any and they went in without a problem.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i run my ngk tr55 at .060 with OEM plug wires.

when i pulled my factory spark plugs they said acdelco and NGK.

does anyone know why they reduced the plug gap specs in 03-04????
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i run my ngk tr55 at .060 with OEM plug wires.

when i pulled my factory spark plugs they said acdelco and NGK.

does anyone know why they reduced the plug gap specs in 03-04????
I believe to help reduce the misfires, at least that is what i was told by a tuner.... Also i believe the spark dwell times are different between the years....
Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

weird...ill keep my .060.

Quick Reply: Wrong spark plug gap possibly....