Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's successfully passed emissions testing with a cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Passed here easy 212/218 in 4.8.Cali emissions diablo handheld tune full length headers all that jazz.Sitting bout 11-12hg.vacum with a nice lope.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmm don't know man I've herd of F-bodies with tr224s passing, even untuned through cats over from ls1tech. Don't know if that's possible... but a good tune and you should be ok, that cams not huge for a 6.0.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m3srt
dude you have SEVEN THOULSAND POSTS and youre asking a newb question like this ?? shame on you

^^^^^I was wondering this myself.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed mine with flying colors with a 212/218 Cam and LT Headers and no cats
Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shoot . . . I've had mine inspected with the cut out open before.

I have failed before with my old 2002 that I had, the SES light is seperate, and wouldn't come on when "HE" wanted it to . . .
Old 07-27-2010, 04:37 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by m3srt
dude you have SEVEN THOULSAND POSTS and youre asking a newb question like this ?? shame on you
Give the guy a break he has been testing the limits of bolt on's for some time now and just slid the cam in this year...

If you've got stock cats, IDK how you could not pass just go out and get them as hot as possible before you go in, if it is a sniffer. I've heard of box stock trucks in CA not passing the sniffer on the first try because the cats wern't up to temp...
Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MPFD
Give the guy a break he has been testing the limits of bolt on's for some time now and just slid the cam in this year...

If you've got stock cats, IDK how you could not pass just go out and get them as hot as possible before you go in, if it is a sniffer. I've heard of box stock trucks in CA not passing the sniffer on the first try because the cats wern't up to temp...
Thanks! ....

I didn't get any time to check today whether or not it's sniffer or not due to work, but I should be able to check tomorrow. I have heard you want to get everything nice and hot.

Also, is it normal to have a SES light on with the key in the on position and engine off? Mine does that, but I can't remember if it did that when bone stock. It may have started when I changed to the 2002 operating system. Don't know if the light being on with the engine off would fail me. I have no codes in the system.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris05
Hmmm don't know man I've herd of F-bodies with tr224s passing, even untuned through cats over from ls1tech. Don't know if that's possible... but a good tune and you should be ok, that cams not huge for a 6.0.
yeah, according to the critical poster in here I shouldn't have posted this thread. However, I was well aware of the saying that the 224 114 was as big as you could go. However, the variables are different here, slightly more displacement, different exhaust systems, differing emissions standards between states/counties, etc. They even have a discrepancy here based on your vehicles HP (not in terms of emissions I believe, but higher HP vehicles cost more to register). Just looking to see if anyone has gone through the sniffer with a similar situation to mine, that's all.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

You don't have to do a sniffer test in St. Louis any more, just the OBDII test. Just make sure your readiness tests are all complete and you'll be good to go. I had my inspection done last month with my truck with no issues.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Thanks! ....
Also, is it normal to have a SES light on with the key in the on position and engine off? Mine does that, but I can't remember if it did that when bone stock. It may have started when I changed to the 2002 operating system. Don't know if the light being on with the engine off would fail me. I have no codes in the system.
Mine has always done that also...

If there is not a full on visual inspection, drill a hole in your exhaust well after all the O2's and weld in a bung for a widebandor O2. Open it up and thread in a plug with a small hole drilled in it before you go in. If there is a sniffer. The velocity of the exhaust stream will pull air into the small hole and will lean out your exhaust even further without effecting your tune. Then plug it afterward.

Quick Reply: Who's successfully passed emissions testing with a cam?