Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who's running the VHP 44 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you 2 have about sold me:-P

Quiet: which tune do you have for this cam? The 1 or 2 tune off the crane?

the tuner woke mine up with the stock cam! Cant wait to see what it does with the cam lol.. I know the perf 1 and 2 raises shift points, so do you select the enhance trans shifts for another 300rpms also?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
well you 2 have about sold me:-P

Quiet: which tune do you have for this cam? The 1 or 2 tune off the crane?

the tuner woke mine up with the stock cam! Cant wait to see what it does with the cam lol.. I know the perf 1 and 2 raises shift points, so do you select the enhance trans shifts for another 300rpms also?
I'm using Cam Performance level 2 with the tuning set for regular fuel. I have the spark advance shift set at 0. It would ping slightly with +10% and it was a little lazy (still better than stock tune) with -10%. I have the idle raised 100RPM to keep it dead smooth. If you want some "rump-rump" to your idle, leave the idle rpm stock. With this set up, it idles as smooth or smoother than stock. Part throttle accels are silky smooth; yet throttle response is instantaneous. Driveability is quite noticeably better than stock at all part throttle conditions. That's what I like. Let's face it, if you put a meter on how much time you spend at 80% throttle or more; anyone claiming more than 2% would be a liar. The full throttle performance is great, buy I really get most of my pleasure from the improvement in part throttle driveability! I'm 57 years old. I've had cars with bad manners that ran hard and you know what? After a couple of months those bad manners aren't fun anymore. I want to have it all and this cam, springs, rockers and tuner gives me that. My wife even loves it LMAO, because she didn't want me messing with "her" Tahoe and it drives so smoothly that she still thinks the power has only come from the rockers!! Hope this helps!!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks a bunch for the reply

im just waiting for a good VHP GP hopefully now

Any idea what the shift points are with the cam 1 vs 2 settings also?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Right now I hava a Hypertech till I can get the money for a Nelson tune, Is a re-tune necessary with a 062, or 044 cam, or will it work with the Hypertech?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

hypertech isnt really gonna do anything but raise the shift points to benefit up top with the cams...

Crane/VHP has built in cam tunes for certain cams.. you can raise the idle with the crane tuner also Basicially that tuner kept in mind what most of us wanted to do and what we wanted.. Hypertech just lets you play with shift points and supposedly helped tune for certain types of gas. I never saw a difference in my 98 TA with the hypertech, but this crane tuner really.. realllly woke the truck up at part throttle.. took the lady for a ride tonight and we asked what the heck i had done... LMAO
Old 05-13-2005, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

thanks a bunch for the reply

im just waiting for a good VHP GP hopefully now

Any idea what the shift points are with the cam 1 vs 2 settings also?
I haven't tried the shift points on Cam 1 because it isn't recommended for that cam. I have tried Cam 3. In both cases the shift point seems to be 5900-5950 RPM. Cam 3 might be a slight bit better for WOT, but I prefer the Cam 2 part throttle tuning with this cam. I'm not sure that the WOT is better with #3. If it is, it's not enough to worry about. What I like about the shifting is that under part throttle, it is firm but not jarring. At WOT, it shifts real firm and gets your attention!

I have a friend who tried the Hypertech with this cam and it doesn't run nearly as good as mine does with the Crane tuner.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

quiet, i take you arent using the enhance shift points option? I think that gives another 300rpms right? Would that make it 6200 if you use both? I dont know how they work in combo with each other...

also, something else with the crane.. when you go back to change something, do you have to do everything over again? So i select mid grade fuel, the next time I program it says stock fuel or something. I didnt know if i could just select no and skip and go to which ones I needed to edit or not.... i guess that makes sense lol
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

quiet, i take you arent using the enhance shift points option? I think that gives another 300rpms right? Would that make it 6200 if you use both? I dont know how they work in combo with each other...

also, something else with the crane.. when you go back to change something, do you have to do everything over again? So i select mid grade fuel, the next time I program it says stock fuel or something. I didnt know if i could just select no and skip and go to which ones I needed to edit or not.... i guess that makes sense lol
Yes, I'm using the enhanced shifting. I'm just giving you the shift RPM off of my tach. I don't know what the programmed RPM is supposed to be. Couldn't find anything about the exact RPM in my instructions. I'll have to ask Roger Vinci and get back to you. Actually, I don't think there would be any advantage with this cam to try to run the engine past 6000. It seems to be starting to nose over pretty well right at the shift point. I've flashed by PCM at least 70 times playing with this thing (different fuel grades, timing combos, shift points, etc.) and I keep finding out that setting everything at the basic performance setting that they call for delivers the best power/driveability! IMO, they have really done their work on this piece. There are a lot of people on this site who badmouth programmer/tuners; and all that proves is they haven't tried the Crane tuner. I'm really impressed with it.

Yes, I have been able to only change one thing, but there isn't much difference in time if you change one or change all. It seems the first programming from stock to custom takes 4-5 minutes. After that, the changes only seem to take about 1minute to may be 90 seconds.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Since I am new to the site (not meaning to hijack this thread either), but is VHP, Vinci Hi Performance??? I figure that it is,. but just wanting to make sure as I am wanting to make a cam purhcase as well, and Vinci is working on a GP, and looking at this thread VHP makes a killer cam that you guys are happy with. Doesn't VHP have their cams ground through Crane??
Old 05-14-2005, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GenIII53
Since I am new to the site (not meaning to hijack this thread either), but is VHP, Vinci Hi Performance??? I figure that it is,. but just wanting to make sure as I am wanting to make a cam purhcase as well, and Vinci is working on a GP, and looking at this thread VHP makes a killer cam that you guys are happy with. Doesn't VHP have their cams ground through Crane??
Yes and Yes. You can't go wrong with Roger and Joe Vinci (VHP)!