Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who makes the best ignition wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that granatelli claims only one ohm of resistance.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I believe that granatelli claims only one ohm of resistance.
wow, you're right. stylin concepts claims they yield up to a 15hp increase. i'd sure like to see that.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, they are pricey though!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:08 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

i would like to see their dyno graph on that claim, maybe before hand they were down a cylinder from a bad wires and then changed them out. thats crazy right there
thought 200$ for plug wires is expensive you would expect to see something from them, then again everything granatelli makes is $$$$$$$
Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Truck addict

i have msd. weather anyone on here changes their plug wires or not i did. i plan on giving my set away to a member here when i get off my **** and buy a new set. but i do like the msd wires. ohms this and ohms that. i went to electrical school and i know all about that. bottom line is that red looks much better than the black(sometimes blue) wires from gm.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, i got some MSDs from a member on here, he told me he was having some trouble with them missing... i called MSD and told them my problem, They mailed me one asap. I have 9 MSD wires, no combo that i can do, they still were missing, but ohms were dead on every time i checked...
Went to my local parts place, got some super cheapos, no problems since.. i think they were $17?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

maybe it wasnt the ohms but those wires had a loose connection at the boot, or coil pack
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I originally ran DirectHits and did notice an improvement over stock, but once I went FI they didn't last...now I run MSD 8.5's and TR6 plugs...definetly a worthy combo...and as the rest have stated I did do the ohm test on them...MSD's have far less resistance.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.1 HD
I originally ran DirectHits and did notice an improvement over stock, but once I went FI they didn't last...now I run MSD 8.5's and TR6 plugs...definetly a worthy combo...and as the rest have stated I did do the ohm test on them...MSD's have far less resistance.
I believe that resistance/foot doesn't tell the whole story and may be a little misleading as well. When we're talking 45K+ volts, you probably shouldn't come to a conclusion about which wire is best simply by measuring DC resistance. There's a little more to consider besides Ohm's Law.

If you want to learn more, check out the FAQ's on Magnecore's website. I bought a set of their wires for my Buick V6 Turbo but I'm not promoting their product. Only suggesting that if you want some useful general info on spark plug wires, check out their site. Warning; It's not for the faint of heart so set aside some time, grab a brew and get ready for some extensive technical explanations. (and don't feel obligated to buy a set of their wires) ;-)

Like they say, "Forewarned is forelegged". (or something to that effect...)
Old 08-20-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, there is a reason NOT to replace the stock wires - all aftermarket wire manufacturers have had issues with quality control. Some manufacturers have had issues multiple times.

Stock plug wires are like stock rockers....no reason to replace them unless you absolutely have too much money and want to throw some away. In that case, let me know and I will send you my PalPal email address - I'll save you some headache on the wires and help you with that money problem.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best ignition wires?