Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Who has Experience with the use of Toluene?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has Experience with the use of Toluene?

Hey, guys. Recently I've been doing some research and talking with family members over the chemical Toluene. On how it is a paint product, but holds an Octane content of 114 Octane. It can be used in mixtures of gasoline to raise octane ratings. It has a high BTU rating (unlike Methanol) so your not having to give up something to gain something. It does burn your eyes coming from the tail pipe I have been told (just like Nitro Methane). I know the formula and math for figuring the % of Toluene to use to achieve a certain octane rating. I know that it is safe for the Cats, but is it safe for the Oxygen sensors? Who is using this? I am wanting to use some Toluene to bump my octane rating to around 94-95 from a base of 93 octane to be sure of no retarding of timing from KR.
Any users of it? IS it O2 safe?
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have used xylene before, it allowed me to run 2-3 psi more with the whipple and i was running it at 30%. i never had cats and i did kill both 02's eventualy but they had 50k on them so i might have just been time for them to die.

i also tried the xylene on the dyno with the turbo and it didn't help much. got maybe another 30hp and 2psi and that was it. not bad but not great either.

i have been running no cats and no 02's for a long time, not too hard to tune and then you can run leaded fuel.

other option is 105 unleaded. it is something like $4.50/gal but you can add it without fear of hurting anything. if your only going for a 203point increase in octane it wouldnt cost too much.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by parish8
i have used xylene before, it allowed me to run 2-3 psi more with the whipple and i was running it at 30%. i never had cats and i did kill both 02's eventualy but they had 50k on them so i might have just been time for them to die.

i also tried the xylene on the dyno with the turbo and it didn't help much. got maybe another 30hp and 2psi and that was it. not bad but not great either.

i have been running no cats and no 02's for a long time, not too hard to tune and then you can run leaded fuel.

other option is 105 unleaded. it is something like $4.50/gal but you can add it without fear of hurting anything. if your only going for a 203point increase in octane it wouldnt cost too much.
Xylene is a powerful solvent capable or eroding seals and quickly removing varnish build-up form a fuel system than Toluene from what I've heard. How long was it before your 02s went after the addition of Xylene?
Thanks,
Philip S.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I found out that it is harmful to your 02s. I also found out this neat info-
Formula #1 - Toluene

R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal

Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium

10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane

Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces
will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often
costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less
than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene

R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane

Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3
*points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and
advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)

R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal

10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane

Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has
lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect
makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol

R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal

10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and
found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive
and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in
excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with
water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol

R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal

10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply
rubbing alcohol.

I don't think my 02s will go out quick if I just use around 1 pt. of toluene per 20 gallons of gasoline. Is tuning out 02s really simple? Something Nelson could do? What are the effects of it?
Philip S.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

xylene....we were using that reagent in our last organic chem lab
Old 12-22-2004, 06:19 PM
single digit dreamer

it's not real simple but not that hard either. i used efilive to help me fill in my ve table and then i just pulled the sensors, i set closed loop to a high temp so it never tries to go closed. i also played with the pe table and a few other things.

you prety much need a tuning program and scan tool and wideband to get it perfect.

now i am running megasquirt. it will support narrow band or wideband sensor or no 02 sensor at all. it is by far the easiest tuning i have done. i have mega doing my fueling only now. the wideband sensors can take leaded fuel.

i ran something like 50+gallons of xylene thru my truck before my o2's got slow.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

it's not real simple but not that hard either. i used efilive to help me fill in my ve table and then i just pulled the sensors, i set closed loop to a high temp so it never tries to go closed. i also played with the pe table and a few other things.

you prety much need a tuning program and scan tool and wideband to get it perfect.

now i am running megasquirt. it will support narrow band or wideband sensor or no 02 sensor at all. it is by far the easiest tuning i have done. i have mega doing my fueling only now. the wideband sensors can take leaded fuel.

i ran something like 50+gallons of xylene thru my truck before my o2's got slow.
Thanks for the info! 50+ gallons makes me feel real good about my 1 pint per 20 gallons!
Thanks for all of the info Parish!
Philip S
Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 PM

I would like to seriously recommend a better octane booster than those. I used to use toluen and xylene, then I found out about a product called Max Race. It's made by Price Chemical. It's 40% nitro by volume and with the plasticizer that's used with it, it can be mixed with unleaded pump gas.It's not nitropropane. You can get it in several concentration amounts all the way up to 80% or you can even buy drums straight. Read their site.It'll give you an octane that'll easily support a 14.1:1 compression ratio. I use it at 1% percent and the computer adjusts the A/F mixture. It will not harm any of your sensors or cats. It's also an oxygenator, and works good when it's real hot outside as it makes the engine run a tad cooler because of the nitro. You also oxygenate the fuel. It won't harm the plastic tanks in the F-body or fuel lines. This stuff works, and I'm not joking about it either. I found out about it from some guys that are dirt track racers.

Here's more info :
http://www.pricechemical.com/
Old 12-22-2004, 07:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
Thanks for the info! 50+ gallons makes me feel real good about my 1 pint per 20 gallons!
Thanks for all of the info Parish!
Philip S
1 pint of xylene in 20 gallons of 92 octane would only raise your octane to like 92.16. Is that really worth it?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:28 PM
single digit dreamer

i put it in 5 gallons at a time. picked it up at a local paint store for $4/gallon. i think the leaded fuel is much better and the same price.

Quick Reply: Who has Experience with the use of Toluene?