Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple Supercharger problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, glad we could help, now my Whipple has gotten a problem. I was street racing tonight and spraying the 75 shot with the charger and it made a really loud whine, when i got stopped i noticed it was making a grinding noise. I pulled it off and checked the rotors, their fine, but the oil had metal flakes in it, so i think i messed up a bearing Anyone else have this problem before?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do guys have your whipples set up up ? i want to dump the injectors and pump booster, for larger injectors and and a boost pump so i have more control over the a/f and timing. can this be done ? while still utilizing the computer for solonoid control? how do you get around the whipple comp. reducing the maf value ?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPRAYEDSIERRA ya thanks again man.
Are you spraying before or after the whipple? I know those gears inside the whipple are straight cut gears. That is why they whine so much. I think straight cut gears wear faster than angled gear teeth. Maybe that is why all of the metal, worn down gear teeth...? I cannot see it though and I don't know if these are particles or chuncks of metal...
I have never had a problem with a spun bearing on the SC. I would think though that if it were a bearing problem the rotors wouldn't be turning so smoothly. Although maybe it is only at high rpms that the smooth turning of the rotors becomes a grinding noise.
Maybe email Whipple SPRAYED.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So how much boost are you seeing now that the bypass issue is resolved?

Ryan, I think you might be a prime candidate for a 3.3L Whipple blower.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
I knew it was not pulling as much air as it should be because on an AutoTap run I registered only 37.8 lb/min. on the MAF. Other engines with this 3.5" pulley see around 50lb/min. going through the MAF.
'etc' is that what you are referring to about the whipple computer reducing the MAF value? That is just what I noticed when all of the boost was being bypassed back to the back of the blower casing. It was not pulling as much air through the MAF as other trucks with that same pulley size because that bypassed air was 'clogging' up the entrance for more air to come through the MAF. It registers a much higher airflow now that I fixed the blowoff problem by hooking the computer back up.

EDIT: 'etc' I run eight 42lb/hr Delphi '009' fuel injectors. I got them at racetronix.com With an '02 LS6 cam, I run an Injector Flow Rate value of 5.21, using LS1edit to tune. They should easily hold up to 500rwhp if there is a strong enough pump to keep them fed with fuel. (I still use the stock pump without a boost a pump voltage increaser either)
Old 12-16-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xlr8nss
Ryan, I think you might be a prime candidate for a 3.3L Whipple blower.
I don't know about that, my tranny hated me on those 3.5" pulley runs. I put the 4.25" pulley back on until the heads go on to lower the compression a bit.

I did not have any time today to tune for the 3.5" pulley so it wouldn't knock (final exam studying) At about 3500rpms it pegged my old school boost gauge at 7lbs. I know I can run that pulley on pump gas though with the intercooler. I just need to take out about 4degrees of timing I think. I will do all of this next week for sure.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm trying to resolve an issue i'm having w/ my supercharger. i'm losing power btween 3k-3600k, i have boost and fuel pressure. i asked ken what he thought and he said it's hard to diagnose because of the whipple computer. he said if the calculated air is outside the perameters of the dtcp1514 table, it could set a code and reduce power. he also said he thinks the whipple gets around this by reducing the signal from the maf to the computer and adding fuel with the injectors [kinda fooling the pcm to thinking there is less air so it doesn't set a code, and adding fuel without it knowing] my question is, when you modify the fuel tables for the bigger injectors, if the computer is still reducing the signal won't the pcm reduce the fuel ? i wanted to know what exactly you guys did to make it work. are you still running the injectors ? you said your running the stock pump with no booster ? still have plenty of pressure ? if anyone knows exactly how to set this up i'd love to know. or if anyone knows exacly how the computer works that would help too.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

If you have metal grindings in the oil I would change out the oil and see if it's better. I had that wtih my old one and an internal seal went on it. Of course the oil level had dropped as well when this happened and I had a much noiser s/c as well.

With that blow off valve; I believe on the old 2 pulley kit everything is manual and you can run it without the computer hooked up. Only the newer 1 pulley setups have that new boost bypass control built in. I have the old kit and am currently running it w/o their computer and using a custom PCM.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00z71sierra
If you have metal grindings in the oil I would change out the oil and see if it's better. I had that wtih my old one and an internal seal went on it. Of course the oil level had dropped as well when this happened and I had a much noiser s/c as well.

With that blow off valve; I believe on the old 2 pulley kit everything is manual and you can run it without the computer hooked up. Only the newer 1 pulley setups have that new boost bypass control built in. I have the old kit and am currently running it w/o their computer and using a custom PCM.
i'm running a single belt setup and i want to completely get rid of the whipple computer. i have ordered a set of delphi 42lb. injectors already and going to get a dyno tune. anybody know what i can do to the bypass solenoid to make it work right without the computer? could i use the bypass off the 2 belt setup on mine? thanks
Old 12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

I emailed whipple, waiting on response. The oil level was fine just had some metal, but i can turn it with my hand and notice a grinding noise. Ive got my nozzle in the aluminum elbow that bolts to the intake so i dont think it got back into the charger, i dont know, im gonna wait for a reply from whipple and go from there. For now im gonna hook up a 150 wet kit, without the charger

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger problem...