Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Where to get compression test done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where to get compression test done?

Is there a tool or something that I can rent from Autozone or am I going to have to take my truck to a shop? Will the dealers do it or is a speed shop a better place?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:07 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Is there a tool or something that I can rent from Autozone or am I going to have to take my truck to a shop? Will the dealers do it or is a speed shop a better place?
very easy tool to use and not terribly expensive, just do it on a warm motor
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't tell me you got a problem with your new engine already.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Zick
Don't tell me you got a problem with your new engine already.

I don't think there's a problem with the engine, I'm thinking that I may have a valve hanging open cause I tightened the rockers up too much. I am running lean on bank 2 under vacuum, but not boost (started another thread about this) - swapped O2's, replaced intake manifold gaskets, doesn't sound like there's an exhaust leak, although I'm going to R&R the passenger side header in the morning to be sure. My airflow is messed up again, I had it all set where I wanted awhile ago, nothing has changed since then, but now it tries to stall on me when I shift from P/N to D. I was also real close to having my spark tables set where I needed, almost got rid of the part throttle KR under light-to-moderate acceleration, now I am getting a lot again. It sometimes fires right up when I crank it, sometimes I have to crank it for a few seconds. Last night I had to crank it for about 5 seconds, kept sounding like it was trying to catch, finally did and tried to die on me for a few seconds before it really caught. Fuel pressure is fine. When I unplug the coil packs and crank the engine it isn't a consistent crank, hard to explain but it sounds like it compresses a few strokes then has one that doesn't compress as well (starter sounds like it speeds up for a sec then goes back to normal, then speeds up, back to normal, etc etc). I'll try to get a vid or sound clip up.

Anyway, I thought a compression test would be a quick and easy way to tell me if I have a problem with a hanging valve.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Sears has compression testers, they are easy to use and like previously mentioned do so on a warm motor.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think there's a problem with the engine, I'm thinking that I may have a valve hanging open cause I tightened the rockers up too much. I am running lean on bank 2 under vacuum, but not boost (started another thread about this) - swapped O2's, replaced intake manifold gaskets, doesn't sound like there's an exhaust leak, although I'm going to R&R the passenger side header in the morning to be sure. My airflow is messed up again, I had it all set where I wanted awhile ago, nothing has changed since then, but now it tries to stall on me when I shift from P/N to D. I was also real close to having my spark tables set where I needed, almost got rid of the part throttle KR under light-to-moderate acceleration, now I am getting a lot again. It sometimes fires right up when I crank it, sometimes I have to crank it for a few seconds. Last night I had to crank it for about 5 seconds, kept sounding like it was trying to catch, finally did and tried to die on me for a few seconds before it really caught. Fuel pressure is fine. When I unplug the coil packs and crank the engine it isn't a consistent crank, hard to explain but it sounds like it compresses a few strokes then has one that doesn't compress as well (starter sounds like it speeds up for a sec then goes back to normal, then speeds up, back to normal, etc etc). I'll try to get a vid or sound clip up.

Anyway, I thought a compression test would be a quick and easy way to tell me if I have a problem with a hanging valve.

Maybe I'm thinking this wrong, but I'm not sure you could possible tighten a rocker bolt tight enought that it would cause a valve to stay open. Your only suppose to tighten them to about 25ft lbs and even if you went beyond that I don't think that the bolt would put enough pressure on the valve spring to hold the valve open.
Like I said maybe I an thinking about it wrong. What the hell did you put the bolt in with, a impact gun.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
High on diesel fumes

Maybe I'm thinking this wrong, but I'm not sure you could possible tighten a rocker bolt tight enought that it would cause a valve to stay open. Your only suppose to tighten them to about 25ft lbs and even if you went beyond that I don't think that the bolt would put enough pressure on the valve spring to hold the valve open.
Like I said maybe I an thinking about it wrong. What the hell did you put the bolt in with, a impact gun.
I have the Crane adjustables, and when I installed them on the 5.3 the first time I tightened them too much and when I cranked the engine over the starter just spun freely, none of the cylinders were building compression. I was careful when I put them on the 6.0, but I still think that I might have tightened one or two too far....just want to check to make sure....

Old 06-16-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Crane adjustables, and when I installed them on the 5.3 the first time I tightened them too much and when I cranked the engine over the starter just spun freely, none of the cylinders were building compression. I was careful when I put them on the 6.0, but I still think that I might have tightened one or two too far....just want to check to make sure....

Ahhh, didn't realize you had adjustable rockers. Well your on your own with that one since I have never messed with adjustable rockers yet.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2006, 03:56 PM
High on diesel fumes

Ahhh, didn't realize you had adjustable rockers. Well your on your own with that one since I have never messed with adjustable rockers yet.

Good luck
I really really really really do not want to re-do all of the rockers, but if I can do a compression test and find one or two that need to be re-done that's not so bad. I know where to go looking now, thanks guys! I'll update with results after I do it.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Veteran

So you're not coming down this weekend? We can figure that ish out at mi casa...assuming your truck can make it. I've messed with adj. rockers more times than a care to remember.

Quick Reply: Where to get compression test done?